GoKunming Forums

Cultural Colonialism

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

What do you believe is the line between an expat in a foreign culture enjoying a "taste of home," so to speak, and actually importing his or her own culture to the foreign one in a way that erodes the foreign culture?

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

I think it's insanely impossible to import one's foreign culture in a way that erodes the domestic culture, unless you also import population.

That's how China historically integrated minorities - through blending and dilution.

The question today is, "What is China's culture, today?"

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Tell us what you understand (if anything at all) about Chinese culture.

The foreign presence in China is negligible and if there is any 'erosion' at all it's being done by Chinese themselves after travelling, studying and holidaying abroad.

You are becoming an utter bore on this topic. Your blinkered ignorance is embarrassing.

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

nnoble, there is no need to personally attack people with whom you disagree. Thank you.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Answer? What is Chinese culture? Tell us what you think, show us what you know and understand if you can. And if you can't then how can you assess that it is being eroded? Come on teacher give us all a taste of your wisdom and knowledge. Prove that you are not the troll many believe you are.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

So the answer is NOTHING, just stunned silence. Nice one teacher.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

best example of cultural colonialism on here at the moment is the taxi service website idea.

fixitwithahammer (165 posts) • 0

Mmkunmingteacher
I think you should take it easy a little.

I don't think this Chinese culture crusade is leading anywhere.

So does a culture, -it goes it's natural way.
Chinese are tired of their own culture and I can't blame them.

So I dunno if what you promote isn't equally bad.

What's the difference if you force a western culture on Chinese or Chinese cultures on foreigners.

Chinese culture is open for foreign changes and that is new in the history of Chinese sinocentricism.

All of China's historical problems came from xenophobia overtaxing, ripping off, cheating each and every foreign initiative in the past.

The reaction to it was mean and terrible beyond believe but China is using the same colonialism on other countries, as well.

See; Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and the provinces I cannot name here.

So I think we aren't so different after all.

No culture can be kept alive artificially and that's it.

So if China changes and they dearly need. Judging the chin. citizens that actually risk the big step over the ocean, -most of them are compelled and welcome many but of course not all benefits of it. So do foreigner here.

So we are not so different after all.

I have chin. friends that are huge fan of european food and wines, cars, furniture, lifesyle, and quality of live.

There are no month passing when I am flying home with shopping lists for my friends, in my pockets.

So should I say no to protect the culture.

Chinese culture is failing, not completely but it's changing into a global Chinese culture like HK or Singapore, and people are very happy with this change, because it has variety and choice, something non existent at the moment.

So don't be so stiff, welcome this change.
And about foreigners in anther country.
I have chinese friends who lived in the US or England and never went out only met other Chinese and didn't speak better English from before they left for the new lands.
They never eat out in non Chinese or Asia restaurants and complain non-stop that they can't find friends or partners.
They let their folks send hot-pots, condiments and other stuff every few weeks.

And complain that life abroad is terrible.

So we are not so different after all.

Related forum threads

Login to post