GoKunming Forums

Learning Chinese with a private tutor

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Ask any chinese person, why they do not travel abroad, and most will tell you.

It is not from a lack of money or desire, it is because we do NOT speak english.

Daithi (426 posts) • 0

Yeah Bella communication is the ultimate goal but some people still have exams to pass.

By the way I know a fantastic tutor if anyone is interested PM me. She is in Sichuan tho so ud have to QQ it.

David

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I have met many students who can not even speak simple sentences in English yet they have passed CET4 and CET.

However, to pass PETS5, TEM 8, TOEFL, IELTS, or TOEIC, a student needs to know English.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

My Chinese teacher speaks good English, and his knowledge of English grammar is excellent.

This is essential when teaching us correct usage of Chinese words with similar meanings, but different usage. The same goes for explaining some sentence structures, and Chinese grammar usage. I am sure that this is speeding my adoption of Mandarin, and when I am an advanced student of Chinese I will no longer need the EL scaffolding.

Cyril (1 post) • 0

Hi HFCAMPO, I am a local people and study 对外汉语 in Yunnan Minzu University . I have been teaching Chinese for several monthes . Although I do't have much experience,I am willing to learn and make changes in teaching. I dont't know whether you are still looking for a private tutor, if you are interested,please give me a messige .
have a nice day !

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

These are the qualifications I would seek from a Chinese teacher for 1-1 learning:

1 - Mandarin - Level 1B or 1A -

2 - IPA Certificate or graduate from University with a major of Teaching Chinese As a Foreign Language.

3 - English Proficiency: At least 2 of the below listed items
-IELTS = 6.5+
-TOEFL = 85+
-PETS5 = 85/4
-CET6 = 600+
-TEM4 = If they are English majors

4 - 1 year experience teaching at any Chinese Training School.

5 - Is proficient in using a chinese Dictionary (book) not a computer or elctronic dictionary. I have yet to find a tutor or teacher that can use a book dictionary well. The problem is caused because they do NOT fully know pinyin.

6 - Is proficient in pinyin and can spell any chinese word in pinyin without making mistakes.

7 - Is proficient in using a computer to type in Chinese. Again, the cause of the problem is Pinyin.

Related forum threads

Login to post