GoKunming Forums

Import foods expanded in C4 Nan Ya

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

@mm, I have a couple more questions for you, if you don't mind?

1 - do you have chinese people living in your home country? where do they do their grocery shopping? do they eat only local supermarket foods or do they have specialty import shops?

2 - How did you eat noodles before you came to China?

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

1. Yes, I do. Some eat local food, some go to Asian markets. This is irrelevant to my point.

2. I ate them both Western-style, and Asian-style. Again, this is irrelevant to my point.

What is your point exactly?

And I don't think my points are irrelevant.

So you used to eat western style and asian style noodles before moving to China? And when you moved to China, you stopped eating western-style noodles and never looked back?

And everyone else should do the same as you? To fully integrate into the local culture, eat only as the locals and give up any cravings you might have for foods you used to eat back home? Because this is the world's greatest cuisine?

And if everyone does this, that makes them the "ideal expat" living abroad?

Is that your point? That's the point I'm getting from reading your posts.

What is your point exactly?

And I don't think my points are irrelevant.

So you used to eat western style and asian style noodles before moving to China? And when you moved to China, you stopped eating western-style noodles and never looked back?

And everyone else should do the same as you? To fully integrate into the local culture, eat only as the locals and give up any cravings you might have for foods you used to eat back home? Because this is the world's greatest cuisine?

And if everyone does this, that makes them the "ideal expat" living abroad?

Is that your point? That's the point I'm getting from reading your posts.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

1. I have kids - wicker basket (WB) or Paul's cereals - GREAT! FYI WB also has frozen chicken and beef pot pies - if you want to buy a lot (like me) call in advance (just in case I've been there before you - I tend to "buy out the freezer"...
2. Cheese - can't buy genuine cheese anywhere (except Pauls, WB and Metro) and...five star hotels...ouch.
3. canned foods. California earthquake preparedness day - although I don't actually store a month's provisions.
4. Convenience - sometimes the wife is even too tired to eat out - so whip up a can of something (and cycle the emergency provisions).

A proclivity of eating from cans isn't healthy - but having emergency provisions and the occasional convenience contributes to a harmonious home. Also - with canned goods (fruits, meats, fish, veges, etc), kids can self feed in a pinch...but that's actually the purpose of those sugar cereals - dubiously nutritious and prevents kids from buying junk food outside - as the age old proverb I just made up goes - better the junk food at home than the junk food outside...

@Magnifico, I challenge you to find anywhere in this post where I have even remotely said anything like that. I merely asked a question: in a land of fresh, great cuisine, why do people get excited over canned, processed peanut butter? I am just curious.

one thing i do agree with. too much processed food is bad.

but apart from that, you seem to be suggesting that's there is some kind of moral superiority in only eating local food all the time and giving up foods that you're accustomed to eating back home.

To me, this is just ridiculous.

Magnifico, I did not suggest that. What I do believe, however, is that it is, in fact, superior in every way, to eat fresh, good food. And freshly-prepared food will always be better than canned, processed food. For example, if one has a craving for peanut butter, not not make it at home, or buy some freshly-made, natural peanut butter?

You cannot buy freshly made natural peanut butter here. You've been living here a long time. Surely you know that?

And most people do not have time to make their own.

So that leaves the only other alternatives: avoiding peanut butter entirely or indulging occasionally in the processed version.

Occasional indulgence is OK. There's no need to force-feed yourself Chinese food 365 days a year.

@Magnifico, yes you can. If you cannot, then how have I done it?

And my point is not Chinese-against-Western food. I eat sometimes at Salvador's, and their food is good quality for the most part. My beef is not against Western food, but rather against processed, canned, bad food. That is my point.

Related forum threads

Login to post