GoKunming Forums

Need Traditional Chinese Medicine Specialitst

Rasssul (36 posts) • 0

Hi All. Does anyone can tell where there are TCM Reps or Hospitals to undergo a survey, preferably English speaking. Another issue, there were some posts talking about the herbal markets, drove to the points where they were supposed to be, but there were already ruins. Who can tell where there are large herbal markets within the city, or, at least, not far. Thanks.

JanJal (1244 posts) • 0

Most big public Chinese hospitals have a separate building or floor labelled as TCM. And small Chinese hospitals - well they are mostly TCM by definition.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

On the north side of JinBiLu, about 300m west of Jinbi Square, on the next block to the new building with China Merchants bank, is the main TCM hospital. They also sell herbal ingredients in their shop.

The problem with any survey will be getting medical professionals to speak to you. Any patients at the hospital will no doubt swear that it has saved their life. That would be like going to KFC and asking people what they think about fast food restaurants.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

You don’t need to go. I can give you a diagnose from here via the net:
Your Ying and Yang are out of balance and you need some bear bile tincture followed by some rhino horn powder. If this does not work I advise you to stick some needles in and do some cupping to get the bad stuff out. If after all this you still have some money left I can come up with other treatments.

dolphin (509 posts) • 0

herbal markets? what's that? you planning to buy your own herbs? I think the TCM doctors have them in their pharmacy ...

alienew (422 posts) • 0

@lemon: my ignorant impression too, as I know nothing of TCM, except that some of it seems to work and some doesn't.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

@lemon: OK. And it's not really my thing, but I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that - I think most medical systems worldwide, including modern scientific medicine, started out with herbs and such, and had real positive effects long before people with test tubes came to be involved.
Me, I don't pretend to understand it, can't much follow the explanations I've been given, but pharmaceutical companies all over the planet don't research plants for no reason.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

@alienew
No problems with things that work be they herbal or synthetic or imaginary.

Indeed pharmaceutical companies all over the planet do research everything including CTM and found that most of it does not work.
The problem with a lot of traditional medicine (Be it Chinese or from elsewhere) is that they often don’t work and their effect can’t be proven in double blind testing. A lot of them have even negative effects like cupping. See too many bogus diagnoses and bogus treatments like giving glucose drips for everything.
I still believe that CTM works because people get better, that the medication taken had nothing to do with it is lost on most people. As you say “some of it seems to work”. Fine, but please proof it. I see too many cases like: my aunt had this, she took that and now she is better so it works.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +1

i had a cold and took this medicine for 5 days and I got better, it must work. i got food poinsoning and took this medicine for 3 days and now i am not puking, it works.........

Related forum threads

Login to post