GoKunming Forums

Is it just me, or?

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Arguments about China and capitalism are interesting but largely irrelevant in this case. GoKunming as far as I know is owned by Americans and Europeans so they can remove the ad. I hope and expect they will do so.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@misfit, that is how YOU would choose to run a business.

How you choose to run a business depends on what your business focus is.
Cost focus, price focus, differentiation focus, or quality focus.

All are valid. All work.

It also depends of how you see human resources.

Are humans a resource, like a machine that can easily be replaced, and may be perceived as unreliable. Or do you treat your staff as resourceful humans. Even in so called professions like the banking sector the former is more likely to be the case. The same is true for teaching in UK now. Yes employers prefer good staff, but they have to fit employment options into the business environment them must operate in.

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

"Arguments about China and capitalism are interesting but largely irrelevant in this case. GoKunming as far as I know is owned by Americans and Europeans so they can remove the ad. I hope and expect they will do so."

This is close to my original point. Given how politically correct the mods are I'm surprised they are happy to allow this particular ad on their site...

tommann (423 posts) • 0

Free-market Capitalism has existed since the first Sumerian market vendors set up stalls and determined what prices to sell vegetables at. It is not a "Western" idea.

As for the white skin ad, hey, we are in China. It is a different culture and worldview. It is we who must adjust to China, and not the other way around.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

I also agree with misfit: schools who hire "white skin" over professional teachers with post-graduate degrees, and teaching certifications, not to mentions decades of experience, will be terrible schools. The teachers will not know how to deal with the children, and they will not learn.

The school will end up screweing itself in the end.

Frankly I think opposition to racial discrimination is an important principle that ought to be practised and applied to the best of one's ability wherever one happens to be. China indeed lags behind many other countries on this issue (and no country is perfect) but since this website is not Chinese-owned its editors can take a stand and set an example on this issue by either deleting the advertisement or alternatively asking the advertisers to modify it and explaining to them why they have asked. And since GoKunming does not charge for classified ads, it is a stand that would cost the owners nothing.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

Since they don't want ethnic Chinese, even one who lived their whole life in the West, what do you call someone who is racist against their won race?

As things stand the advert does not only exclude ethnic Chinese - which may have been the school's original intention - but also black and brown people.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@yankee00

"I am not discriminating against short people. The sports that you mentioned all require specific ranges of height and weight for each category/position the player will play in. In basketball, teams will usually specifically ask for short (more mobile and agile) players like Spud Webb and Muggsy Bogues to fill point guard positions."

Yes, different positions be it jobs or sports require specific ranges of talents, however, will you agree with me that having a six feet height is an absurd requirement when recruiting for talented basketball players? Isn't it as discriminatory in principle as the White face requirement?

I think we are ultimately agreeing to the same point. That the the ad in it of itself is not offensive but rather the greater context of the Chinese social biases is the problem. By calling for the removal of the ad it does not address the real source of the problem, which we agree is the mis-perception of the Chinese public in general.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@misfit

Yes, I agree that the flavor of capitalism that I described is in fact not one we should strive towards, however, my point being exactly that. The American Republican Party, especially the Tea Party candidates are pursuing an agenda that would push American policy towards those ends by calling for less regulation and less taxes. Perhaps there is some loss in the translation if you are not familiar with the American political scene at the moment. The original capitalism comment is a dig at those politicians.

But to examine your arguments, how is the ad counter to capitalism? The poster is looking for something that he believes will help him realize his maximum profit, he is profit driven as per capitalistic ideals. It might be a bad business decision as you said but it is still driven by the desire for more profit not some social ideas that Whites are more superior than others. It is still under the framework of capitalism.

In conclusion, I would have to agree with you that we have different ideas of what capitalism is. I feel you are more focused on the ideal capitalism where there is a "Knight's Code" of conduct while I'm looking at the underbelly of capitalism as it has existed in the past.

Related forum threads

Login to post