GoKunming Forums

Making money

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

No its not for free, some girls actually pay for this service which may sound crazy to normal folk like us lol

faraday (213 posts) • 0

So, what do you lot do for a living then, some examples? Or what did you do before? I was a statistician, now i'm a bum :)

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@faraday
Maybe you should find out what work would be statistically most profitable for you.
But seriously, China loves running numbers, the only downside is that independent surveys are forbidden. But for someone good with numbers, I think there should be loads of opportunities to find a good job, especially with your background.

But if you meant getting quick money, or even diving into the crime game, I would strongly advise against it (in any place, for that matter). prisons are filled with people that thought themselves smarter than others.

Also if you are that short on income, you should maybe look into some jobs that are not the first 2 options on you "Dreamjob Wishlist" and thus would give you time and freedom to search for better or more fitting employment and in the meantime adding experience to your CV.

If you don't mind a little bit of risk and excitement, I would recommend to start a business. China is the Wild East, a land of opportuniies, so just find a niche, set up a business plan, set up a company, invest a bit of time and voila!

CromsonCromson (145 posts) • 0

@The Dudeson"s:

Well said, not much to add.

Good way is to get employed first, working visa... find contacts (friends) and go on from there.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Go back to your home country. Work for any big data marketing company. Maybe like RocketFuel.com (about to ipo). After a year, spend the money saved for 3 to 4 years in Kunming. Repeat if you're short on yuan again.

faraday (213 posts) • 0

Alex, I've been doing that for a long time, more than 20 years, and now consider myself retired, albeit on a slightly lower income than i'd like. There's life in me yet, though. I'm late 30's and though pretty sure i dont want a regular job again, it would be nice to find something interesting and a little bit profitible to occupy myself. Since i'm very mobile, that occupation should also be mobile hence my hinting at internet businesses. Anyhow, good feedback here!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Freelance writing is an option. I see another website is currently looking for a writer resident in Kunming, 2-3 articles per month. Maybe they want people to cover other cities too, which would give you a chance/reason to travel.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Build websites for ads, affiliate marketing, drop shipping. Then buy a house. Rent it. Get passive income. Retire in late 20s.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Yes, if you buy property and rent it out and live somewhere cheaper. House (as opposed to apartment) rents can by very high. People will pay for a garden. We are talking in the range of 12-20k/m in nice areas. There is some property on the market that has been priced to sell, but it is hard to find.

Selling prices have gone down a little since last year. Some people are still asking height of market prices, but they only bought for investment (usually with no mortgage to service) and won't want to take the drop. But these houses are not moving. There are others who want to sell, these prices have come down.
Some places have gone up, due to the new metro, but most of the upmarket areas on not on the Metro. Unless all the line are finished (hrmm, cough) these houses won't be.

Related forum threads

Login to post