GoKunming Forums

Guide to Marrying a Chinese Woman

tommann (423 posts) • 0

Does anyone have a link to a resource for Americans who want to marry Chinese women, especially in terms of visa requirements, paperwork, etc.?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Are you planning to marry? You need a signed affidavit saying that you are currently single. I went to the consulate in Chengdu to sign the affidavit in front of the consulate. I had to have all documents translated by the government approved translation office here in Kunming. Just go to the marriage office ( I forgot the address. It's on DongFeng Lu near Bei Jing lu). Ask them what you need and they will tell you. Of course bring your soon to be bride so she can translate. :-).

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Guide to Marrying a chinese woman:
1. Find a woman who is not interested in going to the USA.
2. Make sure she is the right one before you get married.
3. Don't get married unless you have been together for more than 2 years.

@HFCAMPO Very good points.
4. Don't marry her just because she's young and beautiful and sexy and cute. This is a VERY DANGEROUS combination. Asian women are so cute by nature. BEWARE! Ha.ha.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

5/ If you are older, perhaps a divorcee, consider marrying the same. The fanciful ideas have largely gone, and people have a better idea of what to expect and what they don't want.
6/ If Chinese wife's parents also have their 100% chinese grandchild you will escape so much fillial BS. Don't be afraid of existing kids.

7/ Find a professional woman, of similar social and educational background. Once the novelty of item 4, cute and sexy, wears off you need something to share.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

1 - Be clear while you are dating that you do NOT plan to return to the west. This will eliminate the Visa hunters who just want a Green Card.

2 - Chinese wife must learn english (University) to establish good communication.

3 - Do Not live in the same province as the in-laws. I told my wife, If I can come to China, then you can come to Yunnan. In laws are the primary source of marital problems.

I agree with 1 & 2. "Chinese wife must learn English". If you don't plan to go back to the West and stay in China, you don't need to learn English at a University level. If you are the foreigner then it's up to you to adapt to China and it's culture and language. If she's planning on living for an amount of time in a western country, then learning basic to high school English is necessary to not feel so lost. In the end, it's all about what works for you and her.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

speaking the same language at a high level of fluency doesn't guarantee there will be good communication in a relationship.

That's my point. Some of the best partners(wives) have been from rural areas. A lot of these woman never had a chance at a good education because of their situation but boy do they know how to make a man feel special.

atwillden (109 posts) • 0

Small critique/observation.... the OP (curiously reverting back to tomman) asked about the legal requirements, but the basic thread devolved into some fairly cliché stereotypes about Asian women (sexy but golddiggers, only choose one not interested in going to the US as the rest are all visa whores). Just a bit surprised these still exist...sort of feeds into that whole trope of old white guys from abroad looking to cash out on their novelty.

Related forum threads

Login to post