GoKunming Forums

Chenggong

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

As Chenggong is within the next year or two to be student and expat / foreign teacher center of Kunming (green lake will become a ghost town) it would be interesting to know which businesses (restaurants, bars, etc, have their new premises planned and your projected opening dates.

Or are you more interested in tourists ?

Post your Chenggong address and opening date below.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Having seen several such 'relocations' fail in other cities, including Shanghai, I have observed the following model unfold.

1 Government announces a vague date for relocation.

2 Government workers do not want to uproot family and move kids from the good school they have accessed. Government workers do everything to delay administrative move (Kunming is going through this now).
3 Only the universities move as there governors have no real power, as they are not in control of the budgets, and they get a nice new campus. But often the Home campus remains, the new campus is seen as expansion.
4 The new residents move in to the area.
5 Final phase. With new residents, business will grow organically. Most early movers go bankrupt until the local economy is established and stable. If the area is successful rents are high.

In the last city (tier 3) I lived in the transition from stage 4-5 has been ongoing for 4 years. The CBD is still not established.
In another city (tier 2) they are still at stage two after 5 years, and the hospital that is the anchor to the new district has still not been built.
In one new area of Shanghai, they still have not built the link road (<1km) to the metro line. And the development has only been there 4 years.

As such, I would be very surprised if business has any solid plans to move just yet.

Ahmet (98 posts) • 0

The BBC article did a hack job in the section about Chenggong. There was virtually no discussion about the incomplete subway line, nor was there any mention of the other very successful Kunming project, the new airport. The accompanying photographs were awful, many of them shot with a fisheye lens that added nothing to the quality of the photographs. In all, for the BBC, it was a sloppily assembled piece.

I don't know, but I was a bar owner/ restuarant owner I would be securing the "choice locations" near the Chenggong campuses now, its not like green lake its a spread out place.
Father away you end up, less business- profit.

Has to be remembered that in 2 to 3 years there will be no students or teachers left around Green lake tiger and that's probably 99% of their business. Chenggong campuses are not annexes they are going to be the main campuses and that's a awful lot of customers.

I'm not sure how the bars, etc around Wen lin will survive with tourists customers only a day.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

Why won't there be any students or teachers left near Green Lake? As far as I know they don't plan to close the old campuses. Last I checked they were still a lot of grad students down there.

Besides most of these new apartments are empty because a lot of people bought them only for investment.

It also makes no sense to open a restaurant or bar unless you "own" it and aren't renting since as soon as people start moving there the owners will just increase the rent... No point in buying now since the bubble hasn't burst yet.

@ Ouyang, students don't buy apts, teachers dont.
Yes the old campuses are planned for redevelopment.

Good idea sell after the green lake bubble bursts.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I have lived in Kunming for 8 years and I remember when they first built the Ghost town known as Century City. I walked that area years ago and I can hear a pin drop because it was quiet and desolate. Go visit Century City today and you will find a busy and very populated area. Although most apartments are purchased even before the building is complete, those who know Kunming can tell you that it takes about 2-3 years before those apartments are rented and businesses open and the community begins to thrive. The same goes for Cheng Gong. I visited the Yunnan University campus in Cheng Gong 4 years ago when it first opened and only Freshman and sophomores lived in this campus. The area was desolate and only a few small places for students to eat. It is a big difference today. Just needs time for people to and invest and start businesses. This will have absolutely no effect on Green Lake.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

I also agree that Green Lake agree property prices won't be effected, or that the business' in the area will go broke. However I wonder if Chenggong will ever really take off, in the north of China you can see ghost developments that have just failed.

I am sure that the areas of Chenggong that have a "forced" population, ie the universities and Kunming city government building will get busier, but as for the other areas I would say its a big question mark.

Related forum threads

Login to post