GoKunming Forums

Verification

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I just realized that anyone can still write and reply to a post here even if they have NOT verified their email address.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Its a good step for GoKM, should remove half of the spam that appears. It also ensures your email address is correct.

Buuuuuttt... the links above the menu bar (username * Logout * Mobile * RSS) are in a different font to the rest of the site and look weird. Easy fix GoKM!

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Yes, this is definitely a great start and it will reduce the BS factor greatly. I checked your profile blobbles and I can see that you have verified your email.

I am just wondering why some users still comment here in the last 2 days but do NOT verify? What reasons would they have for not verifying?

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Most of them probably either haven't noticed or can't be bothered. It's not a biggie, for years GoKM didn't need verification of email and now it does.

My tip for GoKM staff would be to enforce verification of email before anyone can post, i.e. not make it optional. This is the defacto standard now for almost any forum/review site etc on the web so why not here?

YerethYereth (111 posts) • 0

Currently verification is a requirement for new users and optional for existing ones.

In the (near) future users with an unverified email address will also be requested to verify within a reasonable period of time, or see their accounts deactivated.

This in an effort to minimize spam without being too 'agressive' towards GoKunming's existing users.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

Comment.
Unless people know the purpose of email verification, and are confident in the process, they won't do it casually.

Comment. Email verification can be frigged if you want to do it. There are spambots and there are spammers. Spammers can get around verification very easily.

YerethYereth (111 posts) • 0

True. Soon everyone will need to verify though.

Spammers can get around email verification of course, but at least they will need to create a new email address every time they register a new account.

Ultimately, on any popular website one will find spammers, no matter what security and verification measures taken. Ideally, they are banned before than any site user notices their presence.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

@Ouyang and TIC - Yes, you were not aware of this verification process but now that you have become aware of it you reacted immediately and completed your verification.

I am still wondering why some users still comment here but do NOT verify? What reasons would they have for not verifying? Rhetorical question.

@Dazzer - Unless people know the purpose of email verification, and are confident in the process, they won't do it casually.

I guess when you say People, you really mean Yourself as you have not verified yet.

There are spambots and there are spammers. Do you fit into either of these categories since you did not verify?

Just asking an obvious question -

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.