GoKunming Forums

Looking for the reviser

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

I've proof read a small number of papers for publication and it never crossed my mind that either myself or the writer were doing anything wrong. It's the content of the paper that's of primary importance. I don't quite get the reason for the criticism being levied here . Likewise I've checked hundreds of assignments being submitted to universities abroad where the English itself is being assessed as well as the content. In this case going through the paper on a one-to-one basis is part of the learning process. In my case I use different coloured highlighters to indicate areas of content, spelling or grammar requiring revision. The writer then goes off and makes the required revision to the document. The improvements are made by the writer themselves. That's what I'm here for and that's what my tutors did for me very many years ago.

If the paper is machine translated then I will not proceed beyond the first few sentences but this rarely happens these days.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@LouieK

In fairness to aiyaryarr. On-line postings are notorious for being 'misread', because with no body language or tone of voice, and merely one way communication. Our minds start filling the communication gap and the true meaning is often missed. In many cases the wrong meanings can be inferred.

But back to the face to face.
From sad personal experience. What we are often told cannot be assumed to be 100% legit.

I have been asked to revise a document for a student by the student. When it arrived it was just so bad that it need to be re-written, which they then expect me to do (I believe the original intent). It then transpires that it is not for my student but for another student.

I have even been approached by the Dean of a Department to revise a document for a student, which required a total re-write.

This is a general observation and is not directed at the OP.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Revise, edit, proofread, correct, doublecheck, triple check, correct, help - Nice word game.

Spring, I agree with your comment - By the way, good people always see good things, evil people always see bad things.

Spring, I hope you do NOT think all westerners are the same. You came here for some simple assistance but all you got was sarcastic remarks. I will gladly help you check your paper but I am NOT an economics major. Send me private message of you still need help.

Related forum threads

Login to post