GoKunming Forums

Looking for the reviser

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Before this spirals out of control, it could just be a case of "lost in the translation."

Dazzer's opening reply:
"Would you like me to write the paper for you?"

To most Westerners that means: I will complete your paper for you. In that case, it is like having another person take a test for you. That's bad.

To some non-native speakers the offer to "write" can mean edit or revise. It may not mean "write from scratch" that it implies in Western thought. That's fair and what Spring requested originally.

"write" in the context of a reply to an offer for editing services can mean very different things to native/non native speaker.

Spring (8 posts) • 0

My post caused so much confusions. I'm a Ph.D student, I finish my English paper, I do not need anyone translate for me, I can do it by my self. But I'm Chinese, not so good at English, why not I can't ask the native English people to revise my paper to make it better? Where is the Shameless from?
I did some paper revision for my foreign friends, to correct Chinese grammar and totally free. I'm good at Chinese, why not can't help someone is not good at Chinese?In our culture that is normal, just help my friend. But now in my case, I am looking for someone who I don't know him/her, so I may need to pay.

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0

@Spring

Perhaps the following can explain, in some ways, to you the reason for the uproar:

In the USA and perhaps in all western countries, "plagiarism", whether in academia or journalism, at the very least, is a serious ethics violation with grave consequences. As such, the reason for the negative reactions posted by all.

You have made some elementary mistakes in your original post. You should have composed your request in simple English that say exactly what you need, rather than use words that incorrectly convey the message. Instead of the words "to revise", which carry the connotation of "to re-write", you should have used words such as "to correct my grammar to make it more readable, without changing the meaning of the paper". You erroneously used the word "revise" and you did not explain your need succinctly. In addition, the reader reads that you further "conspire" to offer pay for the "revision", which made it sound even more unethical.

DAY DREAMER (24 posts) • 0

还在没完没了地讲如果她英文那么好可以把她要的意思表达的那么清楚,她还要个英语母语的人帮她改什么语法她已经用了REVISE这个词语已经够贴切了

If her English was that good to express her meaning so correctly she wouldn't need some native speaker to help her with her English paper. Don't you think? She used REVISE which I think is clearly enough. She also said the paper is 10 pages – up to here can't you figure out in here REVISE means REVISE not REWRITE!

A Chinese student with not so good English posted a request asking for someone's help to check her grammar is worth of your guys pointing fingers at her鸡蛋里面挑骨头. If you are a man let it go NOW! 一群混帐

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

Her/ his English is good enough to be interested in the offer of having someone write the paper for him/ her.
I don't like top point the finger, but it looks to be an open and closed case to me.

A sad indictment on the youth of this great nation.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@spring
What's the deadline (due date) for your paper. Use Microsoft Word's WORD COUNT feature and post number of words in your paper - that will give us an idea of the scope.

Spring (8 posts) • 0

Thanks for all knid people here, and hope you always here.
Some one feel sad indictment about our nation, please go out of our country(even in the website about Kunming), otherwise will disappoint you.
By the way, good people always see good things, evil people always see bad things.

Spring (8 posts) • 0

Yeah, I need to explain more. I already finish my paper in English, I did it by myself, totally no "plagiarism", I promise. I don't need anyone to write for me, just revise it, isn't that mean correct it (just in grammar)?

Because I need to get published, I just worry about I will be rejected not because of my story is not good enough but my bad English expression. So that's why I need some help.

The reason why I want to pay, is I'm thinking the different culture. Some western people don't like Chinese people asking for help for free.

There is no deadline for my paper, I'm not plan to submit to any

international conference, the journal is better and no deadline for the first submission. I'd better submite it in fluent English.

Thanks for all of kind guys here.

Spring (8 posts) • 0

I checked the dictionary, "revise" means "修订, 修改,改变" not means "rewrite" which means"重写", is that something wrong? I believe DAY DREAMER is right.

Related forum threads

Login to post