GoKunming Forums

Most popular mandarin chinese words 3

meismandarin (10 posts) • 0

忽悠(hūyou) Hoodwink

"忽悠(hūyou)" is a commonly used word in northern area of China and it originates from the word "胡诱(húyòu)," which means 'recklessly misleading.' It became popular from awitty skit " (màiguăi) selling crutches," created by comic stars Zhao Benshan, FanWei and Gao Xiumin in the Spring Festival Gala Evening in 2001. Since then, it has been widely used in daily life.

The word " (hūyou)" means flicker in its literal sense. Figuratively speaking, it means to hoodwink or bamboozle someone into doing something by using flattery or by boasting.

Examples
1. 你别忽悠我了。 Nǐbié hūyou wǒ le. Don't trick me anymore.

2. 这个人可真能忽悠, 没事老忽悠人。 Zhè ge rén kĕ zhēn néng hūyou, méishì lăo hūyou rén. He is really a great talker and plays tricks now and then.

3. 我们去忽悠忽悠他。 Wŏ men qù hūyou hūyou tā. Lets persuade him

Emma Zhang (4 posts) • 0

Edit
hiring of employees! Looking for two foreigners to work in an ice cream shop in Kun Du(center of kunming). working time:19:00—24:00. 1500—2000rmb per month.
please contact13888352035,Emma, if interested.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

I am guessing that Emma is an agent. Judging by the strategy of liberally spraying posts with the add.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Teaching english or selling ice cream are both illegal in China if you do NOT have a work permit.

pongpongcar (4 posts) • 0

Hahahahahahaha you guys are cute!!! Actually just spend one day with a local, I bet you'll learn a lot of popular words!

Related forum threads

Login to post