GoKunming Forums

Evaluation System for Foreign Language Expert

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I don't think this is butt covering. This is some requirement from central government education department. It started a few years ago.
If you follow the trail of leads it goes back to a recruitment company in Beijing. It is probably some company run by some family member of government.
Some of the questions are inappropriate and I do not want to give out personal data unless necessary. I have never filled one in, the school college is obliged to tell you that you are obliged to complete the 'survey'. I have never done it, but merely said that I have. Nobody has ever come back to me. This would imply that there is no connection of the dots,and that it is merely some dictat with no follow through.
I am not alone in never doing this.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Having taken the evaluation test, in 2010 - it might have changed since then, I found it to be an extremely poor instrument.

The comments and links by @hua052011 and @chu082011 have nothing to do with this test. If you want to know what the test is, and is not, go to:
middlekingdomlife.com/[...]

"This system has been developed together with the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, PRC and the Capital University of Economics and Business. It is designed to carry out the recently promulgated Administrative Licensing Law of the People's Republic of china. The Law is being instituted in order to regulate the issuance of permits for foreign experts and to resolve current problems on introducing oral English teachers into the nation's public education services. In a long-term perspective, it will accelerate the building the international professional personnel market, foster and standardize international personnel agencies and further strengthen market access, regulation and supervision."

It is oriented to English teachers. I have never claimed to be an English major, nor a linguist, nor even remotely interested in teaching English. The school, 财大, insisted I take the test. I taught Accounting.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The schools that have asked me were every school/uni in the public sector, or those tagged onto their licence, that I have worked for since 2010.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

As many things operated by the China Employment administration, another useless, ineffective, not thought through approach to make a problem much worse than it already is.

I saw linguistic majors, graduated teachers with experience, with all the certificates and papers you need to teach but still completely failed in the classroom in any possible way.
And I saw cross career teachers without the necessary documentation, doing a fantastic job.

China doesn't have the luxury to choose. China needs loads of English teachers, certified or not, to fill the demand.
If tesst in China wouldn't be so silly and incompetent they could start their own Certificates depending on who they want.

But going through the expat driver license testing procedure, I don't think that would be something to look forward to.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

good point HFCAMPO,

just guessing here, but maybe it's only for schools that have the license to employ foreign staff which is almost literally no one.
Don't know for KMG but I remember in BJ a few years back there were exactly 6 Non International schools (Uni. excluded), allowed to employ foreign staff. So I guess KMG probably has less than that. That would explain that only a handful of people were asked to do the exam.
But again this is just thinking out loud.

Related forum threads

Login to post