GoKunming Forums

Where to buy a (gas powered) motorbike?

explorerred (26 posts) • 0

Anyone know where to buy a 250cc motorbike in Kunming? I'm looking for a touring model and I know they exist in China, but I've never seen one in Kunming. Any tips are appreciated.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

You won't see many of them in the city because they're not allowed inside the second ring road.

There's a car market on the edge of town that also has a lot of bikes. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but I think it's somewhere to the southwest. You could also do a search for 摩托车 on taobao, and limit your results to Kunming. Those guys will have their addresses and numbers posted so you can find them.

Keep in mind though that you won't be able to drive it around in the city, and you'll need someone with an address outside the second ring to get it properly registered.

Things are looser in the countryside, but you're likely to get stopped eventually and asked to show some papers (including license).

somenick (107 posts) • 0

To be more exact, you're not allowed inside second ring. You're not supposed to drive in the bicycle lane, and for some strange reason, lights off in the daytime! You stick to the rules and usually you're left alone. Recently there are checkpoints to count bikes zipping around, but if you're legal and have all the papers, you have nothing to worry about.
A touring model? You mean cruiser type tourer? If so, your best choice will be the Suzuki GN250. Comfortable and bulletproof. Ugly, but will outlast you.
There are much better bikes not on display, mostly the shops will stock farmer and commuter bikes, because those sell the best.

have a look at this forum, will pretty much answer any question you have on motorbikes in China www.mychinamoto.com/

About where to buy, the main market is here >> maps.google.com/[...]

There is also a shop selling Yamaha bikes on Dianchi road. The Suzuki dealer next to it closed last month. maps.google.com/[...]

Second hand market is here ::

maps.google.com/[...]
parts market is here::

maps.google.com/[...]

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

Xiefie mentioned a car market. My wife stumbled across this market several weeks back while searching for a second-hand market. She showed me where it is, and I can give you directions.

If you go out Dianchi Rd towards Guang Fu Lu, you will reach Ruxin Rd right before you reach Guang Fu Lu. This is a major 4 lane road that goes to the airport. Turn left (south) on Ruxin Lu and follow it until you see a McDonalds on your left. Immediately past the McDs is the Third Ring Road. Turn left on the Third Ring Road, and go down less than a kilometer. The car market will be on your left. My wife said it was VERY big with all kinds of cars and motorcycles.

If you need any additional help, I would be willing to go with you since I live fairly close. Just send me a message on here, and I will give you a call. Happy hunting.

alexcasper (1 post) • 0

hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread.

I'm looking to buy an electric scooter. Do i need a license to buy one? Also, what are you recommendations? I do not mind buying a used one because its going to be used within this year only.

please advise, thanks!

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

hi alexcasper, i have a ebike to sell. Its only a few months old but my wife does not like the color. I have the receipt etc, Pm me for details. You dont need a licence to ride a elec scooter.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

Alexcasper, only buy 64V+ or else you'll have to charge it half way through the day. Have a chinese friend go with you. Try to find one with a built in anti theft lock for the back tire. Used ones are usually stolen.

Huddo (3 posts) • 0

Hello,
So I have 2 weeks at the end of August to travel and I'm planning to get down to Huay Xai in Lao (on the Thai/Lao boarder). I'm planning on going by motorbike. This would mean buying a bike in Kunming and traveling down. I have had experience riding around Thailand and Vietnam, but I have no idea what to expect around Yunnan roads. Could someone tell me how they are for motorbike riding? I was also planning to go up to Dali by motorbike at some stage. Also what its like getting the bike into Lao? I can speak Chinese and a little Lao. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Related forum threads

Login to post