GoKunming Forums

budgets and cost of life in Kunming

jonny9 (59 posts) • 0

Hi, I am relocating to Kunming. And i wanted to get some feedback on expenses.

Obviously it depends on many factors-lifestyle, part of town, habits, needs etc.

Anyway, just wondering what you find to be the big surprises as far as things that take the biggest-or smallest- chunk out of your monthly budget?

The thing I am wondering about is food
-how much do you think the food bill would be for a busy, active, 6 ft 200 pound man to eat in Kunming?
Assuming he eats mostly Chinese food, and only eats at home once per day?

cheers.

outsider (35 posts) • 0

So, if I get it right, you are moving from Chendu. Then it shouldn't be hard to figure. The cost of living in Kunming should not be higher than Chendu, if not cheaper. As you can imagine, the rent will be the biggest part of your monthly budget. depends on how you want to rent, a shared 2-3 bedroom apartment with others or a small apartment all on your own will cost you from 500 to 1500 kuai. The food bill, like you said, mostly Chinese food and eating out, would probably cost around 500 to 800, with occasional self indulgence at, let's say Sundra's. The transportation 150 (bus fare + Taxi), internet services 150, mobile phone? ?, well, I should say with 2,200 kuai, you can make a comfortable but basic living in Kunming. I am sure others will soon input their budget ideas.

Enjoy your stay, hope you will like Kunming like I do.

Cheers.

Stephenkm (13 posts) • 0

i agree with outsider, eating here is not the biggest part in your budget but the rent is. however in these days you have to pay a little bit more on eating but i think 800 kuai is a reasonable budget for you. about the transportation i think that depends on where you live and where you go often. to get a bus contactless ic card is a wise choice if you need to stay here for more than 2 months, it takes you 0.9 kuai for the bus and if you need to change other buses it would be free.

2,200 is enough and if you willing to spend 2,500~2,800 per month, you can have a stay of good quality here provides you got somebody here to guide you.

jonny9 (59 posts) • 0

Thanks for the feedback.I am pretty shocked at how cheap it could be.

As per food i have always put a normal range at 1,500 to 3000 rmb per month. In Chengdu, you cant eat for less than 8, and you cant eat tasty and healthy for less than 15, and usually closer to 20 or 30 these days, but thats a big change from years past.

I do tend to order extra meat and greens, and i find most Chinese restaurant food too starchy and not nutritious enough. So that could do it.

I don't usually ride the bus or use taxis-but thanks for the info.

Not to air my laundry in public, but gym membership, sending letters overseas, occasional but budget shopping, taking some kind of classes (tai chi etc),the odd date out or trip to the cinema, and once a month getting out of town (Yuxi I guess?) should add a considerable amount on.

The main problem though is an addiction to cheese...

What a spoiled brat I am.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

Meals are 10 yuan per person or less if you like living on noodles (5), fried rice (5-10) or single dishes of chaoed veggies (10 if you're lucky, these days). Otherwise expect to pay more.

jonny9 (59 posts) • 0

ok, so you're popping my bubble. Well what are some of the biggest bang for your bucks- ?not just for taste, but also, nutritionally, like includes plenty of protein and veggies?

Here in Chengdu its Muslim noodle placess -an 8 yuan plate of great noodles sparsely populllute with vegetables and beef can become upgraded to something really excellent if you are willing to add 7 yuan to the bill.

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0

Don't be very happy yet. I've been in Kunming a short while and my personal experience with 10 Yuan per meal is as follows:

Stir-fried 4 oz. of veges with 1 oz. of meat served over a plate of rice. The locals call it "cover rice". Some restaurants may throw in a bowl of clear soup with a few slivers of veges in it, plus a very small spicy hot pickled vege side dish. Coast: 8 to 12 Yuan each plate.

About 4 oz. of rice noodles in a bowl of soup with a few small pieces of meat (you can count the pieces with one hand), diced scallions, chives and coriander. Cost: average about 5 Yuan a bowl, so you can order 2 bowls, each with a different taste and meat.

Dining out for 2 in a Chinese restaurant will likely cost 50 to 100 Yuan for a not too fancy meal. Thought a meal for 2 in a restaurant with a bit of so-called ambiance, but not necessarily better quality food, can cost 200 to over 300 Yuan.

DaMiao (66 posts) • 0

This really depends on what you want and where you go. My wife and I easily eat a very good meal for less than 50 rmb and can take the family out to eat beef huo guo 68 rmb/kg lean cut meat. Fat meat costs more,go figure. There's western style restaurants at Zhengyi Fang where we eat whole chicken breasts(boneless), steak,pasta and pizza for less than 50 rmb for 2. Drinks(coffee,soda,etc) can set you back almost as much or more than the food. Of course eating at western joints is usually more expensive. Our family budget for 3 runs about 5000 rmb/month. Thanksgiving dinner for 3 people at Sandra's would have set us back 450 rmb or 9% of our entire months budget. Not to worry, you can do quite well here if you choose wisely.

Related forum threads

Login to post