GoKunming Forums

Scammer Alert

no way (104 posts) • 0

economy in nigeria must be really bad, now they're even trying to
scam deadbeat backpackers on expat sites...

placed an ad a month ago, looking for a small apartment near expo.
last night got an email from some chucklehead offering me a fully-
furnished flat for "EURO450" per month. jokingly wrote back, surely
you must mean 450 RMB (450 euro = 4008 RMB).

his reply is that his 150 sqm. apartment will be rented for 1000 RMB
per month, including all utilities and internet.

seems many people have been going to view the apartment, but none
have taken it yet. so many that the neighbors are complaining. and
that is why he won't tell me where the apartment is located.

the keys and rental contract are with him in the UK. he doesn't trust
locals or an agent. but if i send him a deposit "to prove my serious",

he'll send me the keys and address so i can view the place.

too bad, the pictures he downloaded from an american real estate
website sure are purty...

Stephenkm (13 posts) • 0

actually those guys are doing all kinds of scamming all over the world. cheap iphone, lotus winner and this rent information.

my advice is that if you find a ad which makes you feel really surprise with the price. just calm down and search the pictures in that ad on www.tineye.com. it shows all the same pictures on the internet and you will know that where did these bitches get the photos. most of time, it helps you identify the scammers

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0

If it sounds too good to be true, it mostly likely is a scam to some degree. The best rule to follow is "not to be greedy"- because there is no such thing as a "free lunch" anywhere in the world and the chances of succumbing to scams will be greatly reduced. Scammers prey on this human weakness.

Mailman says: "Free lunch - only in a mousetrap". (Mailman, I agree with you 100%. But forgive me for asking, if you can read English, why post your comment in Russian on this English language website?)

Mailman, English seems to be your native tongue. I don't buy your reason given above. If there is a "free lunch" somewhere in your deliberate use of Russian here, I don't think anyone will fall for it.

mailman (48 posts) • 0

не парься :) а ты русский знаешь или интернет-переводчиком пользуешься? сам(а)-то откуда, если не секрет?

Related forum threads

Login to post