GoKunming Forums

Google?

shannigans (3 posts) • 0

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the situation over in Zhongguo concerning google. I heard that the news about Google pulling out of China was kept somewhat hush-hush in Chinese media.

Are people caring? GoKunming as ad space from Google, are you guys going to be effected?

In case the news hasn't reached you, here's an overview:
www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/world/asia/14beijing.html

Stephenkm (13 posts) • 0

Chinese goverment have a lot of limits to internet user. NOT just google, try to visit youtube, twitter and you will know why google's quiting, this god damn limit system sucks!

Neverwinter (26 posts) • 0

This looks really bad... A fellow netizen commented, "It's more like China quitting the world than Google quitting China." I have to agree on that.

Is it true that the business in China only provides Google with less than 10% of its income? Some say the decision was made because some other countries have more than half a mind of river-crabbing Google in their own country, seeing that it works out so well in China.

If this truly happens it's really gonna suck. >ω<

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

It's not kept hush-hush as far as I know. The problem for the CCP is that either they let Google leave and risk a backlash from the young generation and an increased awareness of the internet censoring OR they have to lax their censoring a lot to keep Google here. The latter is highly unlikely so Google will probably leave or a compromise will be reached.

Semi-officially China has already called Google a spoiled child in the gov media so don't expect too much improvement in net-freedom.

Either way I don't think the official China will miss Google that much. It is so common here to make things difficult for the multinational companies in order to promote homegrown products and nurse a national industry. Just take a look at the restrictions on foreign movies in Chinese cinemas. They only allow some 20 foreign movies to be screened here yearly and the Chinese filmindustry has boomed in the last decade because of it.

There is more on the Google subject on www.Chinasmack.com or www.Chinahush.com with Chinese and foreigners comments for those of us who aren't that good with the hanzi.

Related forum threads

Login to post