GoKunming Forums

Camera Question

sucram (6 posts) • 0

I am moving to Kunming and would like to know if I should buy a digital SLR camera in the states or if I should wait to buy one there? Are the prices cheaper?

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

You should consider yourself lucky to find a camera cheaper here. Also if you don't speak Chinese or know exactly what you want then it might be hard to find what you are looking for here. I am not certain about slrs but i recently had someone from my native country buy a camera (compact) for me there and bring it to me since of the 3 models I were looking at only one of them I could find here marginally cheaper.

Ahmet (98 posts) • 0

As a professional photographer who lives part time in Kunming and part time in San Francisco, I definitely advise you to make your technology related purchases outside China. This includes cell phones, computers, printers, audio and video equipment and cameras. In China you may find relatively current models but not the full range of models. In almost all cases the prices are higher. If you are in the U.S., bhphotovideo.com is the leading national stock house with very competitive prices. In Hong Kong I found very good prices, excellent selection at wing shing photo in Kowloon (wingshingphoto.com). Supplies like rechargeable batteries, chargers, proprietary cables, lens hoods and filters are all much cheaper outside of China. The only exception to this general rule was photo studio lighting equipment. I was able to outfit a complete studio with four high power strobes, soft boxes, stands, etc. for the price of one strobe back home. Good luck and enjoy Kunming!

lili1998 (6 posts) • 0

thats just because you dont know a local super guy like me, haha. i like to make friends, have been travelled all around the world coz i m working in airline company as a chief director. if you guys need any help or shopping suggestions, feel free to ask me, i know everything about this lovely city and the important is: its totally free, haha.
my email is lili1998@yna.com.cn, mobile 1398762551, as to me, digital products are much cheaper than you could get from states coz china is the producing place. just contact me and i will help u, coz when i was living abroad, i found many nice ppl who ever helped me like this:)

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

buying products from a total stranger rather than a legitimate store is ill-advised.

The fact remains that these items retail for more in China than they do outside China. If someone is able to sell them for significantly cheaper than the retail price it is highly likely that they were obtained by dubious means and almost certain that there will be no warranty agreement.

Something that everyone should be aware of when purchasing products in China: If a product comes with a warranty card that doesn't mean that it will be honoured. A warranty inside China will only be honoured if the warranty card is stamped with the company's chop or if a full invoice is attached. Otherwise it is a useless piece of paper.

Related forum threads

Login to post