GoKunming Forums

Excellent smartphone Chinese-English dictionary

cricketbird (8 posts) • 0

For those looking for a dictionary that gives good (ie modern, useful) translations as well as pinyin, I've found the paper Berlitz dictionary (sadly, only available outside China) to be excellent and comprehensive. For example, when looking up the English world "colon", Berlitz is the only one that distinguishes between the punctuation mark and the anatomical part - important information to have!

However, I've just discovered they have a smartphone (Windows Mobile, Blackberry, etc.) edition, which is easy to use, and, at $25, much cheaper than other mobile electronic dictionaries (HNH and Oxford). Of course, there are built in ones on many Chinese cell phones, but they generally don't give pinyin or useage notes.

This is just an enter-text-and-translate tool, no handwriting recognition or study tools, but just perfect for carrying around town.

cricketbird (8 posts) • 0

I purchased it from Handango.com. You can search for Berlitz Chinese at their site and find it. Here's a link, but I'm not sure if it is a permanent link or not:

www.handango.com/[...]

Be sure to select your correct device to get the right one for you.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

there are a bunch of them in Xiaoximen or you could try taobao if you can read chinese and can find a trustworthy shop.

However they will all be local brands. I don't think any of the major international brands (nokia, motorola etc) make phones which can take 2 SIM cards as they make their money by deals with network providers forcing the customer to stick to one network. A dual SIM phone goes against their basic business model.

Related forum threads

Login to post