GoKunming Forums

moving to Kunming

newlaowai (20 posts) • 0

I'm looking to move to Kunming, maybe March or probably April this year. I am in need of some advice about finding a place to live.

I am looking for my own place, I need my own space because of the work I do (online consultant). I am looking for a 1 or 2 bed apartment (or other, doesn't have to be an apartment but i'm guessing they are easier to come by!) but I am not sure of areas in and around Kunming. I would like to be near shops and cafes, good restaurants. Don't need to be in the centre but would like a place with a bit of life. I will study Chinese at one of the schools in Kunming I also ride a bicycle as my main form of transport. But will look into buying an ebike.

My budget is about 2000-2500¥ per month (this is to cover all costs inc internet, utilities etc)

Any thoughts on good areas, my budget and what type of place I can get for that. Also, any advice on agents to contact, dealing with landlords and contract length, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

A question. Will you be looking for a student visa or not. This will fix your location. If you are on another visa, this may or may not be an issue.

Assuming you are unaccompanied (no family), then living near Yunnan University or Hanshandong Lu would be good choices of location. Easy access to most expat bars/cafes.

I would suggest the following course of action.

Step 1 - book into a cheap hotel, hostel or the YHA, for the first week. People here also leave early in the year and offer short term lets, for apartments, of a month or so. This way you are not committed.

Step 2 - Look around different areas to see what you like. As you look you will see small agents everywhere. People here use local neighborhood agents (several of them). Most agents will list all of the local properties for rent, using cards in the windows.

Step 3 - let the agents take you to as many places as they want, so that you get a feel for what is available.

Step 4 - When you find a place, you will need to sign a contract with the agent. These legal contracts are produced by the local government, they are filled out by the agent, and provide you with protection. People try to cut out the agents to save on the down payment, this is not a wise move.
You can usually arrange with the agent for the landlord to arrange utilities/phone/internet, etc.

BE AWARE
Kunming landlords usually require 6 months or 12 months rent paid up front. This seems to be peculiar to Kunming. Exceptions are very rare. If you don't have at least 12 months worth of rent in the bank already, start saving.

sting (1 post) • 0

If you don't mind climbing six floors everyday, My wife and I are glad to share my apartment with you. It could be free, since it's a good opportunity for us to make friends and improve English.

My place is 10 minutes' walk from BEICHEN subway station on BeiJing Road, which has two vacant rooms, also a well equipped kitchen and a independent bathrom are at your disposal.

Both of us are working in the government sectors, I'm sure you'll like us.
e-mail:sting10@126.com

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Hi Sting. If newlaowei turns you down can I stay every Sunday to Tuesday when my wife kicks me out?

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

You can find a one bedroom apartment for your budget without any problems. Anywhere within the 2nd ring road has plenty of life, but if you like good cafes and access to a more international variety of food and drink, better to be just north or northwest of the city centre.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Agree with Tiger's comments. 2000-2500Y per month is a little tight, but it can be done - does this include rent?

Sandrine (1 post) • 0

Hey hey hey, welcome to Kunming, I have a brand new apartment to rent, i am kunming local, but i am living in Beijing, because my hubby is a laowai too. haha. In my appart, I also have a 80% e-bike to sell. Contact me on wechat if you are interested: sandrinewang2013

Edward143 (10 posts) • 0

Hi there, there is clean apartment around 93 square meter with 2 bedrooms located near Xi Yuan Road adjacent to Kunming News Center, also near Kunming Metro Station Line No. 3 which will open in July this year. The room rental, wifi connection are all for free. You just need to teach English lesson to a person (a Medical Doctor 40y who works at Kunming Hospital) please contact Matthew Hao at 13759187161.

Related forum threads

Login to post