GoKunming Forums

Voting 2016

gingersinsamac (37 posts) • 0

Hi, I got a paper ballot to get to the Chengdu Consulate or to Chicago.. (Chicago does not allow electronic ballots due uh, it being Chicago:)). Does anyone know how to get a my ballot to Chengdu? The absentee voting info I received from the consulate via email wasn't helpful.

Alien (3819 posts) • +2

I take it it's the US presidential elections you want to vote in? Well, you might take a look at the Green Party.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

The current information handed out by the Chengdu Consulate only covers dropping off the ballot cards at the consulate building.

I have asked American citizen services about the possibility of mailing them to Chengdu from here. They haven't given an answer yet, but said they would clarify, hopefully later today. I will come back with their answer.

Keep your ballot deadline in mind. The Consular pouch service takes three weeks to arrive in the states from Chengdu, and then up to another week from the US location to the various states.

Alien (3819 posts) • +2

Hope you will not vote for either of the candidates proposed by the 2 parties which dominate Washington, the US and much of the world, as the politico-economic system that has produced them is obviously broken and dangerous. But what other candidate names will appear on the ballot for expats? If none, be creative.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

So Alien, are you submitting a ballot for the Green party? I should think you are actually going to submit your own vote before telling others how to vote.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@ginger, Xiefei. Try calling the GZ consulate for an answer if Chengdu is too slow. I find they are a bit more customer service oriented, and are just a bigger consulate with more staff.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

The US Citizen Services office at Chengdu has a WeChat group for US citizens in Yunnan. We asked them there. They usually don't respond during office hours for security reasons (no Chinese phones in the office), but they've been pretty responsive since they set up the group.

Related forum threads

Login to post