GoKunming Forums

Chinese can still shock me!

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Interesting. Is it ok to say the Italian one is less racist since it's transforming majority into minority? Or are both just bad cause race is invoked?...sh#@, never mind, it's just detergent.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

Wow everything about the ad is the same, should of known the Chinese ripped it of from somewhere as it's what they do best lol.

Both are racist though.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

If it appears less so, then is it because it's gently mocking the native by showing a preference for someone foreign?

Annoying that detergent rarely works by cleaning clothes as advertised. Having seen the Italian original it's now clear why the Chinese interviewee looked puzzled to me and he didn't want, or couldn't, defend himself by saying, 'why pick on me, we only copied the Italian commercial'.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Never have I seen people more pre-occupied by race than your average American/European.

You've self imposed this mantra on yourselves in every facet of life, be it school education, movie awards or other nations washing powder advertisements.

Just as the Chinese have their 50 cent'ers I have found that the US and increasingly Europe has theirs. Making headlines from nothing ''Look everyone, this is racism'' - Very often it's nothing of the sort.

Similar to North Korean proof readers these people are over all aspects EU/USA life making sure that self imposed edicts are adhered to.
They're fascinated with ''racsim'' more than 1990's Mugabe, and that's something.

What should be shocking is how small irrelevant things shock people who have nothing better to think about. It's almost ''conditioned'' into some of the sandalistas.

If either advert contained racism it must have been in the absolute loosest form of the word. If everyone was paid but not the black actor on the premise of colour, then yes, that's racist. If they turned the camera off and gave him a hiding because he was coloured, yep, that's racist. If they found a willing actor to perform and made reference to his skin colour, let's say that's silly, in poor taste AT WORST but lets save racism for an act it's deserving.

OR go on, give your halos a good polish over an advert for washing powder.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

How is a detergent ad showing using the product (mockingly maybe) can wash a black man clean not have racist overtones! Duh, write it up whatever way you like with your fancy chat but it's pretty straightforward.

Being EUROPEAN originating from SE London I can tell you racism never really crosses my mind as I was raised in a cultural setting where half the kids you play with growing up ain't English. Multiculturalism to me is the norm!

You can write some c**p but some days you really take it to the next level lol.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

white south africans tend to be horrendously racist people and judging by Nap it seems white Zimbabweans are the same

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

It seems to follow that those determined to apply the label "racist" do so without much thought. Developing a stereotype based on one individual, as in Haali's labeling White folks from Zimbabwe as racist, is presumptuous, not reasonable and indicates a racist bent as well.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@Napoleon
Really? EU and Americans are more occupied with races than anyone else? Hm...
And aren't you claiming to be Brit.? Or African? Or can ypu just switch when it fits you best? So where are you from. I still think you are full of it when it comes to, where you are from. And thanks to your 1000'th Mugabe reference. Seems to be the only African related thing, that you know of.

I agree though, I think the whole thing is overrated. Making black men white, or white men black, is maybe silly but racist? Can anyone tell me what part is demeaning their race and culture. There were no stereotypes fed. I mean he (the black guy)wasn't the obligatory drug dealer, henchmen or supervillian, he was a nice chap and out came a nice chap.

About the Italian ad. The slogan was "with color is better"...isn't that better?or is it anti-white racism?

I think to treat other races, respectfully and as equals, is more important, than writing angry comments but still not hiring other races or giving them a hard. No need to be PC if you know how to treat another human being white.

I don't like the laundry detergent ad but I couldn't find it racist, insensitive?...maybe.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I agree that the words racist, racism etc. are often loosely thrown around. Most definitions of 'race' are too vague to be meaningful, and the traditional one is simply false. In that latter sense, if you believe that 'races' exist at all, you are simply mistaken and have a racist outlook.
We all need to get over this crap, which is divisive in the worst way. For various historical reasons, clumps of gene pools exist, without any clear borders. For somewhat different historical reasons, socio-cultural categories have grown up in minds, and it is these categories, conflated with inaccurate ideas about genetics or 'blood', that are the basis for the inaccurate or vague definitions and for the practice of racism. Racism exists, but not race.
That's it. The ad appeals to racist thinking, and clearly promotes color prejudice. As such it is nasty, by whatever definition.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.