GoKunming Forums

Chinese can still shock me!

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Darlie/Darkie is owned by the US multinational Colgate-Palmolive. Just saying. We all know the Chinese can be crass about race but there's a touch of hypocrisy in the shock horror coverage of this ridiculous and racist ad given we are in in the era of Trump, Pegida, Golden Dawn etc. etc.

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

Quit getting distracted by chinese prop and shit they leak themselves.

5maos are dead, this is their new strat. There has been a leak and a study done by major university. 5maos are to disengage negative ideas of china, and distract.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Could be, dazzer, but I don't think it's accurate to connect the racial prejudice evident in the OP with fascism, and I don't think that kind of prejudice is on the rise in China. In fact I think it's decreasing, although there's way too much of it around.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

this is an old bad joke. We had a sort of comedy series 20y ago in Czech Rep. It was kinda black humor ( I dont mean aimed on black people ). They made similar advert but with gipsy kid. Mother used some bleach to wash the child and then, wow! kid was white and blond. Obviously they got hammered by media for that and later banned.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Compare the situation today with Sautman, Barry, "Anti-Black Racism in Post-Mao China"; and Sullivan, Michael J., "The 1988-89 Nanjing Anti-African Protests: Racial Nationalism or National Racism?"; both in The China Quarterly, No. 138, 1994, if you can get access to them. That sort of thing has not been happening for quite awhile.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.