GoKunming Forums

For annoyed parents

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@ alien @goldie
Have you ever heard two Chinese ever have a discussion?
It's usually one preaching the other. The other has to agree with a "ooooooo"..."是的?" To keep the other's face.
I haven't often seen two people learning from each other or discussing.

And that's the same with those Inuit parents. The want you to do what they do.

A few here and there is fine.But we hear it all the time. As Alex said just tell them some bullshit. Less clothes make kids make more money.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

I wasn't suggesting that any listener would be persuaded to change their views, i just meant it to get them off your back, showing it's a cultural difference. "You guys are afraid of getting cold, us guys are not."

mickeyh (119 posts) • 0

Another option that might solve the problem in a purely practical way, is the smile and say something like, "You are right. Thank you."

Even though they might be wrong, at least it will get them off your back lol, and in a pleasant and face-saving way. It's not like you will ever see that person again for them to "check up" on whether you followed through, right? Just tell them they are right, act like you will change, then go on your merry way. Just a thought.

In our xiaoqu, I kid you not, we tried all of the methods recommended. None works.
They will come back the next day and repeat the same thing over and over again.

A version of an Inuit groundhog day.
Actually I don't want to sound offensive to Inuit, they are an awesome bunch and they actually know, what they are doing.

So, respect!

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Get used to it to the point where it doesn't really bother you anymore. It's either going to be that or you're going to be continually annoyed.
Practical alternatives?

@alien
Annoying Chinese parents to the limit. Constantly preaching some Western rules. Be angry and pouchy if they don't agree. Play by their rules....lol

That's an alternative.

Related forum threads

Login to post