GoKunming Forums

12345 - Mayor's Hotline

JeanDP (77 posts) • 0

HFCAMPO, how many reports total, have you and your wife sent, combined, would you say?

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@alien
I disagree there. Water rationing is just and effort to control the symptoms. The city has to lose a little face and get rid on some of the wasteful items, tropical plant, that need daily watering. Also the waterfall park, should be assessed, on how much water it's wasting.

It cannot be, that the richest country on the planet, in a city with more or less, predictable rain seasons, and enough water, and reservoirs is wasting the water, so that the citizens have to ration water. In preference of some tropical flowers planted along the city streets, and only car owners, and bus passengers can enjoy.

There is enough water, if manged well. There are cities and places with much more water problems than Kunming, and they managed to fix the problem, by prioritizing.

It's good to hear that they are doing something at 12345.
Thanks to the people, calling them up for making Kunming a better place.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@dudeson: I take your points, but I doubt if the situation concerning water rationing is quite that simple: sometimes things have to be done with the resources available and the temporary strategies that will work at the moment. In the long run, yes, more/better resources & strategies need to be developed which will have to deal with climate change etc.
I doubt seriously if it's ever going to become perfect, but the Mayor's Hotline sounds like something that's better to have than not, unless it's just a sham, and Campo's posts indicate to me that it is not.

@alien
I agree, nobody is saying things have to change overnight.

But Kunming is complaining and struggling with water problems, for around 10 years, but in the meantime only more and more, of tropical and exotic fauna is planted. More water is being consumed and wasted, and it seems no [or too little] measures to work against it, have been made. Except handing the problems, of the lack of management to the citizen whom have to deal with it.
Ten years seems to be a long enough time to make a change, even a little one.

But instead we get a waterfall park. Which even by evaporation of the falling water, on sunny days,cannot be helpful.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The water that is used to water trees and shrubs around town is NOT potable water. It is water that is pumped out of the sewer/canals that go to the water treatment plants. If you want some pictures of the water trucks standing in line to get water from the canals I will be happy to send you some pictures.

The waterfall is not using any water or wasting water in any way. The water is merely interrupted for a while in the waterfall and surrounding lake then moves along the Pan Long River Canal.

JanJal (1244 posts) • 0

I would argue that some water rationing, even when not actually needed, would have the positive effect of reminding people to conserve water in their daily lives.

I wouldn't mind if every household in every country had to ration water to some degree, just to raise awareness.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Interesting idea, JanJal - anyway, there's no point in waiting to be told what to do and what not to do - the point is not to waste water and other resources - industry too, of course.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

JanJal - the problem with your idea (if you mean turning off the water for periods) is the law of unintended consequences. If water is rationed and turned off, people compensate or overcompensate by using as much as possible and filling up buckets full of water when it is on. Like a person who isn't sure that food will always be available pigging out and taking more than they can eat whenever food is available.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Water rationing has been used regularly here. It seems to work. I would accept JanJal's supposition that it reminds people to be less wasteful.

The way it has worked here is to reduce water pressure during non peak hours. Some people will run water for washing vegetables and fruit. If it takes longer to run off a given amount of water, people are more likely to only use one bowl of water, rather than leaving the tap running.
Having lived in a place where we had to fill up buckets when water is available, we became very aware of our water use. We also found that if you 'stockpile' buckets of water, this is inconvenient, and the damn things get under your feet.

Related forum threads

Login to post