GoKunming Forums

Small Pedal Gas Mopeds

hendrik22 (14 posts) • 0

Hello everyone!

I am planning to come to Kun Ming end of the year.

Since i have not been there i got a question for people who live over there regarding to gas/pedal mopeds 50cc.

At USA these are known as Lazer 5:

Have you seen something similar mopeds on at Kun Ming and if you do know if there is a shop or place where i could buy for myself?

Please let me know.

Many thanks!

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Gas powered mopeds are rare. You can buy e-bikes with pedals. Gas powered scooters require a street license, e-bikes just require registration - which can sometimes be done at the store. For 50cc - you may as well power up and get a light motorcycle along with the driver's license - but motorcycles aren't usually allowed inside the second ring road during rush hours...hence the prolific e-bikes.

NOTE: You do NOT want to ride a motorcycle in traffic during rush hour - good way to die fast. Most Chinese auto drivers and ESPECIALLY in Kunming - drive like morons and imbeciles. If there's something idiotic and stupid that can be done driving a car - you'll see it in China and ESPECIALLY in Kunming & greater Yunnan (but worse here in the capital).

Also, beware - all bikes - ebikes, bicycles, motor powered scooters, motorcycles - all exceptionally high theft items in this city. As this is a known fact - it really ticks me off...

marcuschen (178 posts) • 0

laotou could you possibly be more racist and complaining? Let me guess: where you come from, drivers are "civilised".

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

lets flip the discussion. a chinese freind of mine came back from a trip to europe and said he was surprised by 'how civilsed it is' (his words). a big part of the problem is a cultural lack of consideration for people outside of your social group. it is not just drivers who show this lack of concern but car drivers can do it annonymous, so no loss of face.like my old mate says, 'you dont have to be an asshole to drive here, but it helps'

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

I've seen a few mopeds (motor+pedal) around, but you're better off with an e-bike.

Some people ignore the license requirement for gas-powered vehicles, but a lot of the gas stations won't sell you gas. By law, they can only sell gas to vehicles with license plates.

Also, if you don't license it, then you will be automatically at fault for any road accidents.

Get an ebike. It's simple, clean and convenient.

You can even get a smaller one with pedals if you're worried about the battery.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@marcus
Where I come from, people shoot at you or threaten physical violence, when you drive like a moron and or an imbecile. Some of it is racially motivated, some bully motivated.

In Kunming - I frequently see people parked in traffic lanes during rush hour, blocking and entire lane of traffic, people driving slowly or weaving as though drunk, while on their mobile phones, ostensibly looking for directions and landmarks - generally rather messy selfish driving. It works for China, in general - but it's messy.

Perhaps one of the most bewildering behaviors for westerners to understand are the left turners taking precedence over through-traffic - if you can get your nose into both traffic lanes enough to block traffic - you and all those behind you can exercise right of way.

It's not racist - it's Donald Trump style politically incorrect socio-economic snobbery at best. The culture of a people manifests itself in many ways - from the food to architecture to clothing. Unfortunately - it can also be manifest in the way they drive. Chinese drivers are incredibly self-centered, inconsiderate, and selfish - but we all know that and somehow the system seems to work for everyone, but it defines the current culture and behavior of the masses.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

A short trip to neighbouring places like Hong Kong or Japan will make them understand what it means to be civilised and considerate. They don't need to take a trip as far as Europe to realise that drivers don't need to act like azzholes who change lanes as they please without signaling or accelerate and horn when people are using the zebra crossing at the green light.
It's not just drivers, but pedestrians and two-wheelers as well. Kunmingers don't know how to use roads.

hendrik22 (14 posts) • 0

Cool, i really like about this forum that it is so active. For everyone who answered thanks for your time!

For me it is more like a goal to get a moped with pedals at China. Best would be at Kun Ming if possible.

I will also make license and try to register it on my name.

By the way, do you require residency at China to register a vehicle? Or for me it would be fine to have hotel address?

Related forum threads

Login to post