GoKunming Forums

rubberized track?

soydeee (6 posts) • 0

does anyone know of a rubberized track nearby the ynnu/yu/wenlin jie area? yunnan normal has one with very limited hours, and is now closed for the month.

if not a soft surface track, then i'll settle for a big soccer field, or any big plot of grass or dirt where i can run. or nearby trails... just as long as it's not cement!

thanks!

chris (144 posts) • 0

there is a new rubberized track around the perimeter of the Kunming Municipal Athletic Center (昆明体育中心) across from Kunming Municipal Stadium on Huancheng Xi Lu... i run on it once or twice a week, it's definitely easier on the knees than cement

i hope that helps
chris

soydeee (6 posts) • 0

thanks for your reply, chris.

i can't seem to find huancheng xi lu or the municipal athletic center on my map, but i see a "kunming stadium" that seems to lie just west of 121 da jie, between jiaolin road and west renmin road... is that where you're referring to? it's close to the radio and tv department of kunming, and the linjiaotang residential quarter?

thanks again... i and my aerobic condition are very grateful!
steph

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

That's the one. If you follow Yieryi Dajie south-southwest past the traffic circle/overpass it becomes Huancheng Xi Lu...so yeah you're on the right track. Stadium is the one on the east side of the road, and athletic center is the one on the west side, I think.

kathryn (27 posts) • 0

Hi Soydee,

Have you tried this running track yet? did you have trouble finding it? i'll try and have a look for it today or tomorrow
Do you know the opening hours?

I've been looking at joining a gym, but would rather save the money as i'd only be using the running treadmills anyway.

Thanks!

soydeee (6 posts) • 0

hey kathryn. sorry i didn't see this until just now. don't know if you checked out the track, but it's easy to find (just across the street of the beautiful pavilion with the pagoda-style roof) and pretty great. it's by no means a scenic track, but it gets the job done and takes it easy on the knees. and it's open all day which is a big bonus compared to ynnu's very limited hours.

hope you like it!

agwright (9 posts) • 0

there's a decent rubber track at the Metallurgy School (冶金工校) that I use fairly regularly. I like it better than the one at the Municipal Athletic Center because it's a normal track going around a soccer field where you can see where you're going, and keep an eye on your stuff if you have stuff with you. Take the 1 bus 3 stops north from 地台寺(the side gate of YNNU), go thru the main gate and the track is on your left. Or you can walk there in about 20 min. There's never anyone there besides the occasional soccer player.

Best,

Adam

Related forum threads

Login to post