GoKunming Forums

Second hand bike

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

Hi Saretta - please use the search function next time, this question appears every so often.

If you're not too much above or under standard Chinese size, reliable and well-maintained second-hand bikes can be bought from Xiong brothers, a bike shop next to O'Reilly's Irish pub on Beimen jie (near Yunnan University's northwest gate).

Also check the classifieds on this website, more than often someone is selling a bike here. Basically find out what frame size you need and then go hunting for those.

Scooters is a whole different problem. Second-hand scooters can have a range of technical problems which you won't be aware of until you've ridden it a bit. Most expensive to replace is the battery so make sure it's less than one year old even if the scooter is older.

You can buy second-hand scooters on Xichang Lu south of Renmin Lu (left-hand side). There are many many stores there that sell new and used scooters.

I paid 1700 for mine which was in very decent shape.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

You might also consider an e-bike rather than a motorbike, if you don't want to pedal, though a pedal bike is of course cheaper and healthier.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • +1

@Alien. Scooters in Kunming are all ebikes with the rare gas one (that comes out at night). Some pedal bikes sell for 20,000rmb at the Xiong Brothers. I have yet to see an ebike priced that high.

@Saretta24
There are some used bikes for sale at huangtupo market, if that's still around. Their probably 90% stolen, but cheaper than the Xiong Brothers. Also, if you don't want to hunt around town, then Walmart and C4 sell basket city bikes for under 350rmb new.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

20,000, well, yeah, but you don't have to g0 anywhere near that price if you just want something that will get you around town.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

So as far as I read, there is no such a thing like market with bikes, e-bikes etc. Place with 2nd hand any type or "hardware", right? They guy near huangtupo is still on holy. sor another 2 weeks, as I was told, so I wonder if there is any other option ( except xiongdi bro.) ? Is ther only 2 options in whole KM or am I reading it wrong?

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Did you go inside huangtupo? Last time there were four shops selling used bikes. That was a year ago, though. The shops sell both new and used, but they put there used collection upfront (5-8 bikes), so you cant miss it if you went inside the market. There was the puji 2nd hand market, but that was levelled. I'm surprised they haven't levelled huangtupo. There is another 2nd hand market with a few bike sellers way south of the old airport along the stinky river trail, but that's really far and maybe one or two used bike sellers.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

Alex: I guess I went to wrong place . You probably mean 黄土坡 near 二环四路 is that right? I didnt check that one then yet. Thanks.

Related forum threads

Login to post