GoKunming Forums

Kunming Map

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Is there a good reason or a bad reason why there is not Kunming map on gokunming? Or is there one but the guy who designed the site has hidden it so that I can't find it? Seems to me there used to be one.

Searches for working maps online takes more time than I've got.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

There is, except you need a vpn. They use google maps as a provider. The listings page won't show the map unless your vpn is on. To GoK's defense, when GoK originally started and even right after redesign, google maps worked just fine without vpn.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Baidu has excellent maps; more up to date than Google in China. However, Baidu is chinese only while Google provides english and chinese on the same page. Also, not sure if Baidu has an elevation option like Google (useful for cyclists).

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I understand the google wars, but it strikes me as ridiculous that no English-language Kunming map can be provided for an English-language website in Kunming. They want tourists or don't they? Would be nice if gokunming could find such. Or do the Chinese authorities WANT English-speaking foreigners in China to jump their censorship and use vpns?

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

GKM should simply use Baidu if the locale is in China. For people using a VPN server outside China, the Google maps could be displayed. Of course, there's some programming involved.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Yeah but some have been in China for five years or a decade and still haven't bothered to learn Chinese. So they can't read Baidu maps.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

yankee no fear! their wifes are here to baby them, and hold their hand to the bus stop!

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

maps.bing.com too

someone who couldn't read Chinese would have a VPN and could see the Google Map with English nameseys.

Related forum threads

Login to post