GoKunming Forums

Doing volunteer work in Kunming

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

I arrived in Kunming about 3 months ago, I am working at a language school and trying to learn Chinese at the same time. I have three days off a week and I have been thinking about spending one of those days doing some kind of volunteer work at an orphanage or something similar. Do you have any experience in these matters or any idea where to start if you want to do something like this?

Jenn1 (3 posts) • 0

I am trying to set up a website and program for volunteers to work with local NGOs in Kunming. Unfortunately I do not have the skills to make such a website, so I am looking for someone who can help me getting this project off the ground. I am also starting up an email list for those interested in volunteering. Anyone who would like to get involved with this can send me an email at:

jfoster@bates.edu

I would also like any suggestions for what people are most passionate about for volunteering. Thanks!

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

@Jenn1, are you from Maine?

@Danmairen, you could try emailing the Yunnan NGO Forum (yunnanngoforum@gmail.com). They have tabs on a wide range of NGOs working in Yunnan. Try sending a note introducing yourself and giving them specifics about what you want to do and when you can do it. They might know about NGOs that need volunteers, or may be able to disseminate your info to other organizations.

Lulu* (13 posts) • 0

Jenn1-
I'm looking for some animal shelter that I could volunteer at and I'd love to see this gets incorporated in your volunteer website development in the near future

Danmairen-
I'm working for a nature conservation NGO's KM office; and I might be able to get you a volunteer job depending on your interest and skills. If interested, let's take this offline and you can shoot me an email at lzhou@tnc.org

hoppare (5 posts) • 0

I also want to work as a volunteer from as soon as possible until the end of February. So if you have any idea how can I find a volunteer work in Kunming (or not far from there), pls let me know.

I prefer to do something with the minorities, so if you know some "minority NGO" in Kunming pls also share with me by email (my email: lkaucsek@gmail.com). Thanks.
Actually I've found a site, but I don't know yet how good it is:
www.volunteerchina.org/

Jenn1 (3 posts) • 0

Thanks for all the comments and emails! I have the website construction figured out now. You can continue to contact me with your email so I can keep you updated on volunteering opportunities.

Just so you are all aware - these events will not begin for another few months as I am still in the early stages of this project.

olivier2 (2 posts) • 0

Hi Lulu, I am also working in a NGO, and it seems we can set up a partnership with TNC, we are also doing Biogaz. I would be intereseted to visit your project in Leejiang.
Can you contact me at o.lefebvre@id-ong.org ?

thanks

Related forum threads

Login to post