论坛

Cultural Colonialism

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

@Dazzer
Really? so there is no review, website promoting good products and services in China? Isn't the internet itself a product of cultural colonialism. And should you then, Alien use it and promote it.
So no more cars, busses, metro, import product, clothes as we wear them, sneakers, mobile phones...etc

But you are right, I will tell all my Chinese friends, who think it's a fantastic idea, that [an] Alien said they should be more Chinese.

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

It's trying to help better quality and looking at some of the old Baizu architecture it looks like quality is not an unknown thing to Chinese.
It had a difficult time in the past, that's all.

There are services in China that focus purely on amazing service. Especially in treating customers.

Check out any companies VIP hotline, VIP banking etc.

So I would like to raise quality not to change the culture.

I think cabbies would still drink their tea and eat their chinese food even after offering better service.

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

nnoble, asking me to define and explain Chinese culture in one post is a bit unreasonable. Nor have I ever claimed to be an expert. I just believe in *trying* to fit in with local culture, rather than import one's culture.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

So, you are a self confessed ignoramus but a supercilious preacher.

nnoble, not at all. As I said, to ask me to summarize 8,000 years of Chinese culture is a bit much. Also, I have never said that one must have a PhD in Chinese culture. I do believe that expats should *try* to fit in based on what they know.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

I think it's nice that you are trying to fit in. Can you thoroughly explain to us what you consider to be "experiencing the real China"?

yankee, I will try as best I know how. In my opinion (which might be wrong), it includes eating what the common Chinese people eat; speaking Chinese as best you can; making Chinese friends and spending time with them; going to Chinese restaurants; accepting Chinese cultural differences as just as valid as Western ones; not trying to change everything; shopping at local markets instead of Carrefour; dating Chinese women; meeting Chinese families; inviting Chinese people to your house to hang out; etc.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Fit in with what? What must we all fit in with? You talk blx. You and your ilk would prefer China stagnate to accommodate your skewed image of what China should be. Meanwhile many Chinese want diversity, choice and all the things you would selfishly deny them. You are the colonialist. You want a film set playground complete with chaos, disease and ignorance. Well it's going. China deserves better. You are not going to stop it. Clean air, modern living, safe food, everything you would deny them. You revel in the chaos, you've said as much in previous posts. You're a fraud and a bore.

There is no NEED for personal insults: correct. But civility has no effect on you and your continuing demolition of this forum.

nnoble, surely you can see that there is a difference between wanting China to progress culturally (as Chinese people see fit), and Westerners trying to change it themselves?

Related forum threads

Login to post