论坛

Practicing English on Wenhua Xiang

zhulaoye (83 posts) • 0

Takes less than a minute really since they never understand anything I say to them. You can tell by the dazed looks in their eyes they usually have no idea what your re saying back. In the area I live the things a while back was kids just asking me "How old are you!?" I would answer back 'I am 44, how old are you?" And they looked perplexed and shocked, but seemed delighted that they got the strange animal to respond. Reminds me really of most English Corners here where the whole session is nothing but me answering similar question over and over until I can't take it anymore and dismiss the group and hour early. One day some sour pussed boy approached me and barked "How old are you!" and I wanted nothing to do it and ignored him, and he stepped in front of me with a scowl on his face demanding "HOW OLD ARE YOU!" Yea, sure I want to talk to th9is brat. Sound like the problem at Sal's is one reason to stop eating on Wen Huaxiang (along with the absurd prices and poor food quality).

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@zhulaoye, a question: why does this all bother some foreigners and not others? There seems to be an awful lot of focus on quite minor issues - my advice is to roll with it, you'll feel better.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

I usually don't have a problem with this as long as they don't take picture. I politely refuse, and I'll usually get some rude remarks from the parents. I have no problem with a short chat, but taking pictures without asking is incredibly rude. Chinese feel the same way if foreigners take pictures of them.

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

Yesterday, I helped this adorable little girl with her "talk to a foreigner" assignment. Then I saw the saddest thing. Another cute, shy little girl left her father standing there and approached a foreigner.

"Excuse me, could you help me for one minute with m homework?" she asked, her long eyelashes batting cutely in the sun.

"No. I'm eating. Please leave me alone," growled the foreigner, her mouth stuffed with hamburger.

The poor little girl slinked off, tears in her eyes, to her disheartened, sad father.

Geez, why not humor a little girl for two minutes?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I agree. Being a rude foreigner will leave a lasting bad impression. They will remember that 'one' rude foreigner and think we are all alike. Show politeness at least. That will go a long way.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

Ok, so should I go to every Chinese person I see and take a picture without asking and harass them to speak broken Chinese with me?

lawlz no, but I bet if you did, most Chinese people would not angrily send you away.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

When are you free, I would gladly try this experiment with you together.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@mmkunmingteacher - be sure these Chinese people are eating and don't forget to take a photo before asking. finally ask for their signature. good luck. oh ye... I'm NOT responsible for anything that happens.
@Alien - all depends on mood and what the person is doing, surely? I'm happy to help them if I'm not busy/eating/studying etc.

debaser, what I was referring to in this thread was a little girl coming up and asking politely, not dull-grown adults leaping into your face and blinding you with a flash. In the latter case, then yes, I would be annoyed.

Related forum threads

Login to post