论坛

Seated and sitting

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The problem with English. It is a living language. In contemporary usage A,B,C, and D would all be considered natural usage, in spoken English.

We find ourselves as slaves to rules that no longer apply. There is a good article here www.theguardian.com/[...] about grammar rules that no longer apply.

As an aside I am currently watching a BBC documentary series made almost 50 years ago, the use of language is very different to how we would speak today.

I am also curious about the source of the questions. Is it an old text booK?

Here endeth my first and final free English lesson.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

this guy's got not one but two grammar threads going. very nice.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

look at the OPs profile. lots of threads asking for grammar and language stuff AND a classifies offereing tutoring services. pwerhaps we is answering his students questions.

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

Usually when the sentence has words indicating it's in the past "enjoy-ed", the time is best kept the same for other verbs within that sentence.

Technically you can use all 4 options nowadays but A: "seat-ed" would be the best fit.
Alternatively B: "Sat" is good too, but people tend to use "While sat comfortably". as it's more descriptive of being/happening "at the same time".

In addition I have another example:
"What's wrong with keep on learning?"

"Learning" has the ending "-ing", requiring the "keep" to become "keep-ing".
It is of course normally it is subject to which person (I,you,he,she,it,we,they) you are using, but not here.

This is something else and relates to a different use of words all together:
"Without them I could not go further".
Making progress in this instance is not a motion*, meaning you use "get" instead of "go". "you get further".
If you use "go further" in this sentence it would mean you'd feel ashamed / not up to the task.
* it's a state of mind.

This above is a simplified explanation :)
If anyone wants to contribute, feel free to do so :)

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

As @culture opines - A. Seated is the correct answer, grammatically.

SAT - implies someone put her in the seat - as though she were a child, but the sentence does not support that contention. Alternatively - to use SAT one would have to complete the sentence as, "She sat ...", but again - as @culture notes - that conflicts with the remainder of the sentence's verb tenses. As with Chinese - English language students must pay attention to the context (relationship) of the word, within the entire sentence.

SITTING - implies an ongoing action, which conflicts with the rest of the sentence - however the nuance is subtle - so SITTING is also a potentially correct answer, but as @culture notes - the tense of the verb (sitting) conflicts with the other tenses <enjoyed> <closed>. Mixing tenses in written english is a stylistic faux pas, but is quite common in colloquially spoken English - doesn't make it right though.

I forgot the form - but is "seated" past perfect tense?

@culture...touchée

Related forum threads

Login to post