论坛

Is it just me, or?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

The ad is simply racist. There are historical reasons for racism, in China and elsewhere, which are very important to understand. Combating racism often (not always) demands patience rather than blind anger or self-righteous posing.

Most important, however, is to exterminate it utterly.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

I think this is a good ad: www.gokunming.com/[...]

They ask for native or near native speakers with some experience and genuine interest in teaching and improving yourself. It's rare to see job ads that have sane criteria like that.

John_A (5 posts) • 0

I remember reading a gokunming job ad that stated the teacher must also be handsome...also interesting teaching criteria.

Personally I was also denied a tutoring job because the business man wanted a female teacher...or a foreign girlfriend I'm not too sure, either way the Chinese lady that asked me to teach this guy was genuinely embarrassed and apologized.

The truth is sometimes the demands/expectations of Chinese people can become very confusing.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I think the female teacher is the working with small kids thing. Same back home with kindi, most teachers are women.

Additionally, this summer there have been a few high profile cases of Chinese and foreign pedos in the education sector. These were men.

John_A (5 posts) • 0

@tigertiger The job was to teach the business man not a child. I could understand if someone would prefer a women to teach their children though.

p.s. I remember years ago having a conversation about pedos with an educated Chinese college. She denied that this would ever happen in China. I guess this doesn't help the issue.

John Xie (109 posts) • 0

the Ad poster is not quite in courtesy, and maybe not having much experice to deal with foreigners even he runs a foreign language teaching business. he don't need to state utterly "white skin" even though he prefer caucasian, cause he is decistion maker of the recuritment.

If I really want to learn English, I will prefer a native bilinguist of English and Chinese, that he could really teach some thing in a language you could understand, and deliver more subtleness betweens these languages.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Don't forget the age discrimination too. They sometimes put age limits too. What can you do if you look too young or too old? Ha.ha.

faraday (213 posts) • 0

There's no end to the number of potential scenarios for discrimination. You never know when you're gonna be on the giving or receiving end. For instance, do you discriminate against racists? If it's not one thing, it's another. That's why I maintain that a free market, i.e. really free, not screwed by subventions and price controls, would be a fix-all solution worth trying.

A proven fact is that a truly free market leads to separation (as opposed to integration), for example between races, ages and genders. My unproven theory is that acceptance would flourish in this scenario. In fact it's been observed on a micro scale in some New York hoods. We'll never know for sure, I guess.

I have a picture from outside a Chinese shop written in English and Chinese, it reads, "This shop does not receive the Japanese, the Philippines, The Vietnamese, and the Dog". I was very impressed by the capitalization, even the Dog gets a big D. That shows respect...or?

English Tutour (123 posts) • 0

In Beijing or Shanghai this racism would not be tolerated. But in Kunming, it's another story!

And in Kunming, the going rate for English teachers and tutors is low in the public's perception, but there are good schools and good teachers and tutors who ARE getting their rightful due, right here in Kunming. I personally won't accept anything less.

But it's a perception that the owners of these schools carry along, because they come from a low income strata of society, mostly. They are more often catering to a lower income for their potential students so they feel they mustn't pay too high a salary, therefore they get a 'white face' who wants to make a living, but can't teach for beans...just my humble opinion.

Related forum threads

Login to post