论坛

Fish and chips in KM?

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I'm English and craving some real fish and chips, preferably cod. I found a great place in BJ, Anywhere in KM?

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

So far from the sea? You'll be lucky! Most of the standard fish from fish and chips is shark in NZ, but again too far from the sea. Orielly's has it on their menu but the fish isn't exactly fresh, probably for this reason...

timetowrite (24 posts) • 0

You want proper "chippy"? Not a chance. But what I wouldn't give for a bag of chips smothered in salt and vinegar and a cold pint of cider to wash it down!

debaser (647 posts) • 0

try the Samoana cafe in Beichen. their fish is in batter. if you prefer breadcrumb the Wicker Basket (next door) is a better bet. i prefer O'Reilly's just for the fact that they have real chips rather than 'french fries' but be warned, their fish is in small pieces (looks like scampi) rather than a fillet.

if anyone finds cider then let us know!

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I like the fish and chips at O'Reilly's even though it's not exactly like real "English Style" fish and chips like the stuff I grew up on.

debaser - by cider did you mean cider vinegar? Most restaurants seem to think that all westerners want ketchup with their fries. I actually prefer malt vinegar which I haven't found here. I did find cider vinegar at Walmart but it tastes a bit watered down.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

cider vinegar is also a generic termfor concentrated apple syrup. thatis what they have in china.

cider alcohol made from fermented apples, not seen in kunming, only seen it imported in other cities and about 30 kuai for 330ml bottle.
There is another cider drink in china. It is just like lemonade (7up) with alchol added. This crap comes in small tins at some supermarkets.

Chicha78 (51 posts) • 0

Yeah, could you imagine substituting Dianchi fish for real flake? That nice green lining to the batter, hmmm sounds good!

zhulaoye (83 posts) • 0

I think I may have been to same place several times when I was in Beijing. there were a couple there. Wicker Basket used to have decent fish and chips, with vinegar and tartar sauce, but that may have changed.

Related forum threads

Login to post