论坛

taking a full motorcycle driving licence in KM

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

I will add that, Kunming most definitely has enough drivers that have no idea what they are doing!! Don't be another one!

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

Yes but when you _do_ suddenly lose your divine ability to foresee every possible movement and cause an accident, what are you going to do? Being an illegal driver with no insurance, you have only two options: hit and run or pay for the rest of your life. I'd rather take lessons and be legal than a moron.

Anyway, stick to the topic. This isn't about whether it's cool or stupid to drive without a licence, this is about how to obtain one.

@pmort: thanks. Is that for any class of motorcycle? And is there an option to exercise with a bike? I have little to no experience on a motorbike, that's why I'd like to take some lessons.

Yes but when you _do_ suddenly lose your divine ability to foresee every possible movement and cause an accident, what are you going to do? Being an illegal driver with no insurance, you have only two options: hit and run or pay for the rest of your life. I'd rather take lessons and be legal than a moron.

Anyway, stick to the topic. This isn't about whether it's cool or stupid to drive without a licence, this is about how to obtain one.

@pmort: thanks. Is that for any class of motorcycle? And is there an option to exercise with a bike? I have little to no experience on a motorbike, that's why I'd like to take some lessons.

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

"Yes but when you _do_ suddenly lose your divine ability to foresee every possible movement and cause an accident"

Like i said its not about divine anything ..."skill and confidence" Which you seem to have neither! "I have little to no experience on a motorbike"

Its not cool or stupid, it is what it is...

I am not here to be your dad, you are going to do what you do.....but you are not going to learn how to drive from the Chinese!! the idea itself is ludicrous! case and point my wife..she is fully legal and cant drive anything!! My advise(i know you don't want it,hahah) head down to Laos rent a motorbike, there is next to no traffic down there...and put some time in to riding..that way us, (locals and expats) in Kunming can be spared your learning curve!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Best advice I was given. Go out and ride a bike everyday for at least 6 months to understand the Chinese traffic behavior. This behaviour is often outside the law, kinda the law of the wheeled jungle. Then move up to powered transport.
Ebikes not too bad as the basic ones don't go fast enough to get you into a lot of trouble.

Everything else is down to machine control, and observation and anticipation. If you really want I can help with this, once you have a bike, I used to be a motorcycle driving instructor in the UK.

yes thanks I rode my bike over 30,000 km through Yunnan alone so I believe I know what I'm talking about. Now stick to the topic.

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

Wait! after all that irresponsible shit you just talked, you are now admitting to driving 30k km in china without a DL?? Or are you talking about a petal bike?

pmort (19 posts) • 0

I've no idea about lessons, but it is all very relaxed. The guy who did the licence with me was a "first timer", he had practised for about twenty minutes the week before and he passed. If you make mistakes they let you try again, no problem.
The guys who run the whole process are quite young and seemed pretty cool, I imagine if you gave an extra 50 or 100 kuai you would get a crash course form them on the bikes you would use in the test (they would probably do it for free actually). If you are confident then just go for it, pass the written exam and get the guys to help you at the training centre, I wouldn't put too much energy into searching for lessons and things unless you feel you really need them? Everyone is different, some struggle with the gears, some get it right away.
Alternatively, go there before you do the test and speak to the guys to let you have a few lessons....just go to the training area next to the parking lot, not the official building (they'd give you a different answer I am sure).

Related forum threads

Login to post