论坛

Advice on Keeping E-Scooter safe

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Y'all going about this wrong. For every solution - there's always a new way to steal the bike. Thieves spend 7/24 thinking of ways to steal your stuff. They're professional. The true solution is shariah law - cut off their right hand for the first offense, their left hand for the second offense, and their head for the incorrigibles.

Problem solved. This also has the effect of severely restraining those who like to buy and sell gray market bikes - same penalties. Then one day China will once again be safe, negating the need to buy locks, alarms, special paint jobs, switches, etc etc etc.

That said, I guess the bike theft market supports a plethora of security industries...so perhaps living amongst thieves makes us warriors of a sort - survivalists.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Y'all going about this wrong. For every solution - there's always a new way to steal the bike. Thieves spend 7/24 thinking of ways to steal your stuff. They're professional. The true solution is shariah law - cut off their right hand for the first offense, their left hand for the second offense, and the head for the incorrigibles.

Problem solved. This also has the effect of severely restraining those who like to buy and sell gray market bikes - same penalties. Then one day China will once again be safe, negating the need to buy locks, alarms, special paint jobs, switches, etc etc etc.

That said, I guess the bike theft market supports a plethora of security industries...so perhaps living amongst thieves makes us warriors of a sort - survivalists.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

SECURITY GUARDS
They're not really security guards - they're social employment for unskilled labor. Just like the "traffic cops" etc - unskilled labor providing work for the unskilled and unemployable. It's a social service. Please don't be fooled or mislead by the uniforms or ticketing systems, gates, etc. It's merely a social service to give someone a minimum wage job along with the appearance/illusion of actual work.

Kunming is a little different from other provinces because of the general culture of malaise.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Bluntly - lazy <expletives>. I'm not terribly culturally sensitive...so I'm told...in many countries...must be true...

bucko (695 posts) • 0

Security guards are no security. In many cases they make more money from the theives then their security pay. I don't bother about where I park mine other than look to park it in the open along a busy street.

As for alarms, they mean nothing except to annoy people. That said, I do have an alarm system that came with my bike I bought in Xiamen. As soon as I bought the bike, I told them to remove it. But the dealer advised me to rethink that idea after he did a demo for me. Just like all of them, it makes noise....so what? BUT on my bike, once the alarm goes off, it activates a system that uses the bike motor as well. If you try to push the bike, the motor reverses, stopping you from moving it. Same is true if you push backward. Only way to take my bike would be to pick it up and carry it.
I also had my alarm ringer remounted where opening the seat to cut wires is not possible. I only use 1 Kryptonite lock on the front wheel. Only way to remove it, is to remove the wheel.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

Security guards are no security. In many cases they make more money from the theives then their security pay. I don't bother about where I park mine other than look to park it in the open along a busy street.

As for alarms, they mean nothing except to annoy people. That said, I do have an alarm system that came with my bike I bought in Xiamen. As soon as I bought the bike, I told them to remove it. But the dealer advised me to rethink that idea after he did a demo for me. Just like all of them, it makes noise....so what? BUT on my bike, once the alarm goes off, it activates a system that uses the bike motor as well. If you try to push the bike, the motor reverses, stopping you from moving it. Same is true if you push backward. Only way to take my bike would be to pick it up and carry it.
I also had my alarm ringer remounted where opening the seat to cut wires is not possible. I only use 1 Kryptonite lock on the front wheel. Only way to remove it, is to remove the wheel.

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

@Bucko, interested to know what Brand and model your scooter is and if that security system is standard on all their scooters. When i was in Beihai all the expats went to the same scooter shop and the owner installed a special security system for them.

Related forum threads

Login to post