论坛

Getting a work "Z" visa

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Hi,

I'm an engineer starting a new engineering job to be based in Kunming, initially at least. Previously I was working in Vietnam and prior to that I was a Chinese language student in Kunming.

I still have a valid Chinese resident permit for study purposes, valid only until the 10th of September. My understanding is that I will need to apply for a work "Z" visa outside of China and then re-enter China using that new visa rather than being able to convert my existing student visa into a work visa inside China. Is this correct?

Alternatively, would it be possible to enter China using a tourist or business visa and then get that converted inside China at the Kunming PSB office on Beijing Lu into a "Z" visa or not? I ask this because I originally entered China in late 2010 on a tourist visa and then it was converted to a student visa inside the country.

If not, I would rather get all the paperwork done for a work visa, which I would be applying for in either Bangkok (most likely) or alternatively Chiang Mai or Vientiane, Laos. I have read the visa instructions on the Chinese Embassy, Bangkok website and although it's lengthy, I will endeavor to meet those requirements.

My understanding is that my company will need to send all the documents required (and I will ask them to specify on the letterhead that I will apply in Bangkok, or alternatively one of those other two consulates though Bangkok is my most preferred option) and I will thus hopefully be able to get my paperwork completed in the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone know what the validity of the visa I seek to obtain is (I believe 1-year and multiple entry) and any special or other requirements that I need to know about?

In terms of the health requirements, I've recently had a check-up after a bit of a health scare last month but I'm back to good health now. I remember having to get a blood test for HIV and sexually transmitted diseases done in Kunming when I enrolled as a student back in 2010 but since I already had one done back in January at home as part of a routine check-up could that be used for this visa? My health is in perfect shape and the last thing I want is to get another needle stuck in my arm, especially when my HIV results are negative and thus a further test would become redundant.

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

Your company need to do the paperwork first, that you then take to the Chinese embassy to apply for your Z visa.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Actually the visa you get in the Chinese embassy only allows you entry to China, you then need to apply for a resident permit in Kunming.

I don't think they use the terminology Z visa anymore.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

What TIC said. Your company has to do it for you, and these days it is a resident permit for the purpose of work.

geekrider (28 posts) • 0

I'm in a similar boat. I entered on an F, and am in the process of getting documented. I have no idea what this means as my employer is handling it for me. I did have to get a physical exam here in China even though I had just gotten on in the States before I left. The process is not fast. I think it will take 5 days for the medical exam results, then another 4-8 weeks for the rest of the paperwork. In the meantime, I'm just site seeing and waiting.

outsider (35 posts) • 0

I believe the "Z" will allow you to enter the country, and enables you to get a resident permit, which you can renew annually without leaving China.

I will be in the same situation as yuanyangren soon. I would really like to know all the paper works involved and its process. I will enter with a "L", and then change to a "Z" after my business is registered. But I don't see any "Z" instructions on the Chinese Embassy Bankok site, only "L" and "F".

Also, geekrider, why didn't you do a "Z" visa when you applied in the States? Is that because they don't issue "Z" inside US? I need to know this because I need to bring my partner over after I get mine done.

Thanks for any input.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Here's the process as I understand it.

The sponsor (your company), needs to submit a boatload of paperwork on your behalf to get permission to hire you. It then goes though a multi-agency vetting process for approval. Once you are approved, you have to go to a Chinese consulate and submit your passport for them to put a Z visa sticker so that you may enter the country. The Z visa is only good for one entry. Since ALL consulates are located outside China, this means you must leave China to visit one. (Actually, one of the paperwork you had to fill out is designating which consulate you will be visiting to complete the process. Only the consulate you designated will have the paperwork ready for you. You can't change at the last minute.)

Upon entering the country, you then need to submit your passport and another boatload of paperwork for them to issue you a residence permit allowing you to stay in China for up to a year. This permit also allows you unlimited number of entries in to China. Your Z visa is made null and void upon receiving your residence permit.

As to what type of paperwork that needs to be submitted depends on the nature of your work. To give you an idea, for me to teach at a Uni, I had to fill out a standard form listing my biographic data in addition to the company's basic information for which I will be working. My resume, highest diploma, passport, and medical examination stating I'm in good health.

Hope this helps.

Cheers~

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@outsider

Your position is very different. In other posts above the term 'your company' means your employer.
In your case I think that when you say 'your company' what you mean is a company that you will register.

If I was going to set up a company I would contact my own countries agencies for advice before doing anything, otherwise you risk losing a lot of money and time.

People to contact:
-Your home country's government department of trade, the section that deals with China.
—Your home countries Consul for Trade, who will be in your country's Embassy/Consulate in China.
—-Your Country's Chamber of commerce in China if you have one.

——There is also a lot of information on-line.

outsider (35 posts) • 0

Thank you tiger for the thoughtful warning.

Yes, I do understand the business world in China is a totally different planet; there is laws, and then there is practice local style. There must be a lot of fire-hops to jump. It can be treacherous to say the least. I am so sick and tired of corporate cubicles, I am ready to take a chance. Of course, I try to prepare and learn as much as I can before I come over. Thank you for your input in our previous exchanges as well!

And thank you geekrider for answering my question.

Related forum threads

Login to post