论坛

Costs for hiring Chinese teachers

Rando353 (1 post) • 0

A few companions and I are looking to hire our own Mandarin instructor to teach a couple of classes to us as a group. I presume that salary will depend on the individual's level of experience and academic background, but does anyone know the going per-hour salary range for good Chinese teachers (not one-on-one tutors) in Kunming?

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

I was surprised to find it pretty high back when I was looking four years ago. One place wanted 60 an hour for one on one, when I was getting good one on one in BJ for 30 to 40. A buddy of mine here paid 40 an hour but the lady never brought him any work and laughed at his sentences he tried to make up on his own since she never gave him any. She would show and up and ask "what do you want to talk about today" then begin laughing at his sentences again and wanted to spend most of the time going over tones over and over. Tones are important but if you get a teacher who only wants to do tones and characters all class while you need more basic skills I would move on.

I would like lass than 50 an hour for the skill level here. In fact most Kunming people can't even speak high level Mandarin themselves, so why pay more than BJ price for bad putonghua.

roberto (24 posts) • 0

rando, teachers prices change according to the contract they have, in good schools of chinese you can find great teachers paid 20 kuai per hr but that's because they are guaranteed a certain amount of hrs a week and a steady job...so that really depends on what kind of job you are providing and for how long..
don't listen to people who talks about the bad putonghua in km, i've met great instructors here especially among young people..

xjwjean (16 posts) • 0

I've been a teacher for about 2 years,and my major is English, I have no problem in conmunication in English. so I'd like to be your Chinese teacher.
E-mail:114382609@qq.com

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Look for a teacher who is older. Students may have a lot in common with you, but often have limited teaching ability.
Trying to compare what teachers get paid in a company, and what you will pay is not really going to shed much light. And if you go to a school/company for lessons, they will always charge much more.
Perhaps a good strategy would be to advertise, or go and look for a short list, then ask for a demo lesson (this could be free or reduced rate).

There are many factors to consider here. Your learning style, if you like the teacher, if you feel comfortable with his/her competance, and then the price.
In Shanghai we were lucky that our company paid for lessons. I liked one of the teachers and we then negotiated an off-site rate, for when our paid course finished.

Related forum threads

Login to post