论坛

Changing a L visa to a Z visa

Dg419 (1 post) • 0

Hi I am an Australian citizen coming to Kunming in May of 2012.
I am aware that visa laws change all the time and I'm wondering if anyone in kunming can help me with information about changing a L visa to a Z visa.

Originally I planned to come over on a z visa, however it has proven difficult to find English teaching positions in kunming.

I intend to come over on an L visa then find suitable employment while over there.

My question is, is it still possible to go to Hong Kong, and change my visa to a Z visa? or do I have to return to my country of origin?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Yes you can normally do a visa run to HK. If you are from EU or USA. Other nationalities may differ.

Make sure that this is at the employers expense. Employers will often pay flights only but not hotels, but some do pay for hotel.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

I have been told by my sponsor that it is possible for me to arrive on a tourist visa and then convert it to a residence permit (for work purposes) in Kunming. I previously held a study residence permit but this permit expired today and I haven't been in Kunming (or anywhere else in China for that matter) since June.

I'm not sure who to believe since all the information I have been getting has been conflicting. I do know that it's not possible to change from a residence permit for study purposes to any other visa type or purpose of residence. However, my sponsor knows what she is doing and she telephoned the PSB in Kunming who confirmed the information I have mentioned above.

Be careful.
The "we can change it for you on arrival" is a common ruse used by some bad employers. You can end up working illegally while they sort it out, which the often never do.

The only way it could work is if the paperwork is done here to allow you to do a border run to HK

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

If I were you I would only believe someone who told me they personally did this (Get Z visa) in the last 2 months. The rest is heresay and fantasy. Many of the replies you will receive are generalizations and never one specific FACT. Wishful thinking can get you into trouble and you will find yourself very disappointed.

You state - I intend to come over on an L visa then find suitable employment while over there.

My question is - where will you find suitable employment? What is the name of the school or university? Did you make contact with any institution yet? If you provide a name of a school many people on this forum can tell you if that school has the authority to SPONSOR a Z visa.

Many schools claim they can issue a visa but the reality is they dont have one single foreign employee with a visa.

I cannot understand how the OP finds it difficult to find a job in Kunming. If you fit the following description it is usually enough. White and breathing.

If you do not fit the above description, then you will not find it any easier by being her. Unless the employer is not willing to pay flights etc. i.e. a bad employer.

NingSi (61 posts) • 0

Following up on this thread, is there anyone who has actually attest to having done this before (changing a tourist visa to a Z visa after arriving to Kunming)? Did it make a difference whether your employer is public vs. private? (I read on a previous thread that public schools are more likely to have the connections to make the Z visa possible.

The public school will have the connections to get the paperwork that you will need to APPLY for a visa.

BUT

...you will not be able to get the visa issued in Mainland China.

Related forum threads

Login to post