论坛

Kunming to Ubon Ratchathani (Thailand) and most of all: back

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

Hey

I'm planning a cycle trip in the spring break from Kunming down to Thai Ubon Ratchathani (to see a friend and shit). Now, this is a call for tips and advice. For instance: which border crossings can I do overland (from Yunnan to Laos and from Laos to Thailand) and can I then get a visa at the border?

Is Myanmar accessible for cyclists (i.e. could I skip Laos and go through Myanmar to Thailand instead?)

And thirdly, I'm probably not cycling back due to lack of time. Are there busses/trains from Ubon or elsewhere in Thailand that will take me back to Kunming? Or need I switch transport? Which would be the most ideal way to get back, considering that boxing up a bicycle for a plane is a pain and that putting it into a bus is no good news for the gears?

Other tips and advice are also welcome!

fiskjäveln

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Myanmar, not likely at the moment, though with the current political situation there looking very positive, it may just be possible that the country opens up quite quickly. Right now it should be possible to travel from Thailand through Myanmar up to close to the Chinese border and then back again, but not as a transit country at this time.

Through Laos, go through the only international border crossing at Boten/Mohan (for the time being, although another crossing in northern Phongsali province may open in 2012) and then any one of the many crossings between Laos and Thailand (for example, friendship bridge 1 between Vientiane and Nong Khai) or alternatively, Chong Mek near Ubon. There are plenty of buses from Ubon that with connections will eventually get you back to Kunming. For example, you could try an Ubon to Udon Thani bus, then a cross-border Udon to Vientiane bus, connecting to the Vientiane-Kunming cross-border bus (although that's a long haul). Even longer would be Ubon-Pakse (cross-border bus) then Pakse-Vientiane and finally Vientiane-Kunming, or alternatively, Vientiane-Luang Prabang (by minivan) followed by Luang Prabang-Kunming (still a long-haul by bus). Another option would be to get yourself to Jinghong in Sipsongbanna to break the journey and from there it's easy to get back to Kunming with hourly bus services.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Trains also go from Ubon via Bangkok to Nong Khai and across to Tha Naleng near Vientiane in Laos, but until or unless the high speed train from Kunming to Vientiane is built, bus, minivan or car are the only options from there, for now.

Thank you, that information is most helpful!

I think I may still fly, seems a lot less complicated than the bus carousel :) I'll keep the bus option open in case I do not make it to Ubon (which has an airport, correct?)

Naturallychina (34 posts) • 0

I would suggest to book tickets in advance and FLY!

Return tickets can be as low as 1400RMB (for return and incl. taxes).

If needed, you may contact the travel company below:

Wonders Of Yunnan Travel
www.wondersofyunnan.com
t: 0871-3512729
e: info@wondersofyunnan.com

Good luck!

Kind regards,
Linda Lin

Hi Linda

While I appreciate your suggestion, I don't really need a return flight since I'm cycling down there :) However, an idea about a cheap flight back (that will take my bicycle and a quote for how much this will cost) would certainly help!

S

Related forum threads

Login to post