论坛

Mt Everest

sucram (6 posts) • 0

I am thinking about making a trip to Kathmandu, Nepal and heard about a flight to see Mt Everest. Does anyone have some input or recommendations?

Ian_Kunming (126 posts) • 0

Spent 3 weeks on the Everest trek in Juli/August. You can fly to a small town named Lukla and then walk to Everest Base Camp, which will take about a week. You can also charter a helicopter, if cash is not a problem.
I would not recommend going now though, it's high tourist season with literally thousands of people on the trail...

ludwig (104 posts) • 0

Some airlines offer (mostly) early morning flights to see Everest from Kathmandu, if I remember correctly they cost about 130 USD, and you return to Kathmandu after about 60 minutes. They only fly in good weather and the offer is that you get a full refund if they do no fly or abort the flight, you can then try again next morning. These flights are easily arranged in Kathmandu through travel agents.

Best chances of good views are of course in the dry season (now to April). Apart from having to get up early, it is a pretty convenient way of seeing Everest, no sweat, no stinky guesthouses, no dal bhat and it does not matter how many scruffy backpackers are toiling up the trails as you will be back to a cafe latte in Thamel before they even managed the first pass.

sucram (6 posts) • 0

I don't have the time to make the hike. I think I will take the flight first and then decide if I need to take on the debt for the helicopter. Thanks for your help and opinions.

Related forum threads

Login to post