论坛

Something that's been irking my...no offense to anyone

barekarma (11 posts) • 0

I have just reviewed the forums to see what Tonyaod could mean by "tacky ads". I accept the ones from Westerns are quite direct, but I had to "read between the lines" for many that came from from local Chinese to decide if they were sex ads or not. Please remember that those Chinese writing in English are nearly all students, and the addtional meanings that Tonyaod, and others, may put to them may be unintended. For example, I contacted a Chinese Language partner ad that I am sure Tonyoad would say was a tacky sex ad. The girl was horrified to discover how her ad. could be interpreted. All she wanted was to practice English in a social context to improve chances in her ILTS exam. Neither her

English/Chinese text books, nor her teachers, had even suggested that there could be double meanings. If the situation was "out-of- control", then I am sure that the Go-Kunming team would block that, as they have on other issues. They even give reasons, unlike the Great Wall. As for Westerns, a lot in Kunming do not have English as their first language, so please make allowence there too. I know that when I translate perfectly ordinary English into Hanzi, I have raised a lot of smilles with Chinese friends, as I have written something that has a totally different meaning locally. For example, my text book stressed that I should call a waitress "Xiao Jie" and I did for a very long time, until a chinese friend explained what that means in Kunming. Like my chinese language parnter, I, too, was horrified. Maybe some allowences need to be made before judgement is made.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Finally some thoughtful response to the point I was making.

As I have stated, I wasn't blasting anyone in particular and was only stating my opinion. In no way was I attacking nor denying their right to make such posts.

I have no problem with looking for a hook up, but rather, with the wording in the ads. I guess I look at like I'm dining at a fancy restaurant enjoying my meal and the guy next to me is chewing with his mouth open, taking on his phone loudly and scratching his ass at the same time. Bad etiquette? Yes. Affect my enjoyment of the meal? Yes. Do I have the right to have management ask the guy to leave? No.

I was just expressing my anguish at being visually assaulted by the tacky ads, but I know that is just a matter of my own personal taste. I wasn't advocating anything to be done about it, just throwing it out there that maybe guys should be more classy in how they approach the subject here in the forum.

Case in point:
"Hi, im looking for a badgirl to have night time fun with.
Im a 26 year old white guy from England."

"hi,woman!
i am a very strong chinese man,i am open mind and very fun.i am interested in sex,if you are too,welcome to contact with me!"

On hindsight, perhaps I was being too sensitive about the issue.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

I would venture that tacky ads tend to be more prolific in the dating section and the more elegant ads in the friends and possibly language or activity partner sections. And speaking of restaurants - any recs on good French or Japanese (I've heard NE Kunming has credible Italian).

Related forum threads

Login to post