论坛

Opening a Business

Ben_06 (2 posts) • 0

Hi All,

I know people posted different threads in the past regarding opening a business in Kunming, maybe things have changed and I'd like some up to date info.

I am planning to open a small business in Kunming. Do you know where can I find some info on how to open a business and which kind of fiscal entity should I choose?

Thank you for your help!

Ben

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

www.gokunming.com/[...]

Talk to Max. Keep in mind if the business is to be wholly owned by yourself or other foreign investors and you're looking to get a work and residence permit issued to yourself and/or your partners, you'll need to wire a substantial amount of funds as foreign currency from your home country, which will be reflected as your registered investment capital.

JanJal (1244 posts) • 0

Actually registered capital requirements for foreign investors have been loosened a lot in recent years, from what I hear also in Kunming.

Basically during registration process you can choose to only "subscribe" to a schedule by which you will make the actual payments, and this can take place in number of years after your company is already running. So you may not need any major up-front investment.

There is also a fairly new business vehicle "Foreign Invested Partnership Enterprise" or FIPE, which has no capital investment requirement at all, but process for this is not established in Kunming yet.

However, these changes only relate to company registration.

If you will need a visa for yourself, then the Entry & Exit Bureau will have some requirements for giving you the visa - and these requirements are lagging behind reforms in company laws.

You may find that you need to provide personal bank deposit in the range of 300 000 RMB fixed for a few months, if your company does not have equivalent capital investment in place. Until few years ago, this was also the figure you would be looking at to get a business running here as foreigner.

Ben_06 (2 posts) • 0

Thanks a lot for your replies. I am planning to open a small tofu factory.

DanTheMan,

Thanks a lot! I'll contact Max.

Do you guys know where I can information on how to open a business? I am interested to learn about the different type of fiscal entity (limited liabilities, etc.).

Thanks!

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

ben are you chinese or laowai?
if the latter then the phrase 'coals to newcastle' spring to mind. or a chinese guy going to scotland and opening a haggis factory

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

@Ben_06
Just a word of advice - before you open a new business - go get your pre-sales agreements FIRST. If you try the "field of dreams" approach - you may find yourself without revenues for several months or longer. Although pre-sales agreements may or may not be legally and financially binding - they're a good indicator of what's to come.

Related forum threads

Login to post