论坛

Chinese can still shock me!

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36394917

Just see this article on the BBC and was shocked how a marketing company in today's world could still come up with this kind of ad.

I thought I'd seen plenty living here in China but this one really does take mick.

Unless some of you others are thinking 'no it's a cultural thing', we should just learn to adapt lol

The Noodle King (54 posts) • 0

marketing propaganda?
hidden agenda in the media?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

The ad is indeed disgusting, and I have been avoiding Darlie toothpaste since I first became aware of it. It indeed does reflect attitudes embedded in Chinese culture (as well as in many other cultures), but cultural phenomena are not autonomous of economic, political and historical influence - and they do, and must, change. Economic interests are quite obviously embedded in the Darlie company's use of such cultural attitudes to promote their product - as I've indicated somewhere else, the goal of advertising is manipulation before it is communication (or, for God's sake, driven by any desire for the public good), and this manipulation is driven by the desire for competitive economic advantage.
How is this a good way to run a society, in China or anywhere?

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

Never bought a tube of that Darlie brand since been here, even though it's the one covering most of the shelves.

The ad does reflect the culture but surely they're moving on as to not be that blatant, or so I thought ;o)

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Forces have striven to maintain an insular society in order to protect their very existence and this is one result. A spokesman for the company that created the detergent ad appeared genuinely puzzled over the uproar. He and many millions of others are victims of purposeful ignorance. Advertising is a fact of life. Again, consumers here are possibly more likely to succumb to the excesses of advertising (manipulation if you like) because learning to be critical has not been an integral part of education.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Not sure how deeply critical any of us have really learned to be under the constant bombardment of advertising-speech that really got going only about a hundred years ago. I agree that the spokesman did appear genuinely puzzled, and I think that is a good example of the depth of confusion we are all in, to one degree or another, under the constant bombardment I've mentioned and its manipulation of what appear to us as commonsense cultural attitudes. Works for political discourse as well (obviously).
Consciousness-raising - i.e., bringing subconscious attitudes into greater clarity so that they can be dealt with in the light of a possibly enhanced reasoning ability - is difficult.
Boycott garbagethought, when you can see it, and the horse it rode in on. In the long run, a very, very big project. Wish I could say I am optimistic about successful long-term results in the time available...

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I watched the commercial. Omg, so so so super racist lol. The girl lures the black dude in, then forcefully pushes and stuffs him in the washing machine. Some screaming can be heard in the background as he is being washed in the machine. Then out pops a Chinese guy, and she is all happy.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

we can boycot garbage thought and then along comes trump. as for oxymoron purposeful ignorance . this ignorarance is genuine and like most darkness it needs a light to be shone on it. with this laundry ad the light has now shone. the light will fade but some people will remember. overtime with more lights more people will remember

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.