论坛

What's Next?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

First it was be careful dating foreigners. They might be spies.

Then this:
edition.cnn.com/[...]
What's next?
I think that China is becoming less and less attractive to people who once thought that it was a golden opportunity. What do you think?

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Personally I'm not a big fan of nation states and nationalism as a concept, but it's the hegemonic system atm, so...
Following the logic of the nation state, where other nations are opponents to your own in a great worldwide competition, why should a government allow opponents' organisations to operate freely in their country?

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

Only more confirmation of China's increasing paranoia and xenophobia. China is for China only you spies.

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

What I've noticed is that my safety and social standing in China seems to be directly proportional to the number of meddling foreigners disregarding local laws and undermining the authorities. Therefore I could care less about treatment of foreign NGOs.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I think Campo's got a point about NGOs, but then there are problem with self-appointed vanguards, too. And there's the state of the planet, which isn't effectively under anybody's jurisdiction.
Overall, this move strikes me as a bit control-freakish.
Not sure what Coward is worried about, besides himself in the short run.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

'I could care less'
*sigh* Why do so many people write this nonsense? I'm sure you mean you 'couldn't care less'! If you could care less, that means you somewhat care.

goldie122 (645 posts) • 0

@Haali...  "I could care less" is condescending sarcasm, an idiom.

People only ever use this phrase to mean "I couldn't care less," never the opposite. It is not logical but has been used for many years.

A lot of idioms don't really make sense when examined closely... "the exception proves the rule" or "head over heels".

Anonymous is correct using that phrase, even if you don't like it.

Related forum threads

Login to post