论坛

Air quality and massive plant death in Kunming

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Maybe a suggestion would be to all get a rake ready for when all the dead leaves fall soon. Over trimming not such a bad idea Long Dragon as it can get very dry in Kunming hence root work drying up the ground.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

If over trimming is not a bad idea, why not just cut down all the trees and shrubs then removing all ground cover.

Come to think of it trees help reduce CO2, and roots retain soil and water.

Some people ought to know just a little before posting silly comments.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

I know that trees start dying off in periods of drought, and roots don't retain water that isn't there. How much more should I know?

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Another thing to consider with dry spring season coming up when its usually very windy and this year particularly with very weak and vulnerable branches ready to fly off a good pruning is in order to say the least

Long-Dragon (393 posts) • 0

Alien, I prefer and use or do walking buses and the subway. By living here for over 13 years and doing this my car in America stays parked for long periods. 1998 with 75,000miles.

My comments on tree trimming are simple over trimming cutting off 5 or ten years of growth can be good for some varieties of tree. It can kill other varieties which have been essentially frozen. Tropical varieties can come back or not. I am seeing banana tress sprouting leaves. You cannot grow back 10 years of growth in a damaged tree.

Its not just trees but shrubs and plants of all sorts have died some will come back many will not. What is the plan to alleviate this situation and how to help?
I suggest planting potted planting is something we can all do. I suggest we can urge the Government to have a plan and implement if does not have a plan already.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

All that can be done in this situation is plant more suitable plants in place of the dead ones that cannot be saved. Though doing so in haste would be a mistake as first it needs to be seen which plants spring back to life. It was the coldest its been in Kunming for years (some say ever). An unforseen event which happens from time to time no matter how much planning you do.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Long Dragon: Good about not relying on a private car or taxis - something most people here can easily do if we want to.
Others: So the plan is to get rakes and keep potted plants and encourage the government to have a plan and then help them somehow?

Related forum threads

Login to post