论坛

Accessing Youku or Tudou in the USA

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I want to post some videos on Youku or Tudou. Can these be accessed in the USA without a proxy or VPN? If not with FREE Chinese website allows you to do this? PPTV?IQIYI?Tencent? I don't want it that they have to use a proxy/vpn. Thanks.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

No problems using either of these sites in the US. I don't know of any websites blocked in the US.

Blocking websites seems to occur most often in peace loving countries.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@Geezer
I mean without any proxy or vpn. I check the internet and they say that it's blocked without using a vpn or proxy.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Most Americans don't know what a VPN is. In the US they are primarily used to secure corporate internet communications.

I often watch Youku or Tudou videos on Chinese websites. They often start start and run without the need to click.

In spite of many old Chinese legends, websites are not blocked in the US. Hacked yes, but not blocked. Blocking websites is bad for business and the constant need for commercial 'circle jerks' drives the web in the US.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

I remember staying in England and a few Chinese sites were blocked.

The ones that showed the Chinese TV (my missus wanted to watch it) and a few that I could watch the premier league footy on.

The great Fire (Haidrian's) wall!

debaser (647 posts) • 0

in quite a few SE asian countries recently I get a message saying that sites that stream content are 'not viewable outside the PRC mainland' or something like that. I got a similar message in Hong Kong and most of these TV/film/sport sites were blocked in Europe as of 2 years ago. My friends in Australia (Chinese) were just complaining that they can't stream TV shows via the Chinese sites from there at the moment... they're getting a VPN. Someone told me that it's done on the Chinese side to defend the sites from claims of copyright infringement.

@geezer - Try accessing TV shows or anything else copyrighted. I couldn't even see the images on Taobao last time I tried from outside the mainland. Let us know if you can get the content or even if you know a way around this block.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

I can access taobao with no problem.

Also can view episodes of "Happy Planet"

Why would Premier League be blocked in the UK?

I use a VPN in the US to watch the odd sports games blacked out locally or payperview in the US.

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

It'll be slow because the GFW works both ways. Having a VPN set to China will solve the problem, 70 USD a year are worth it.

Related forum threads

Login to post