论坛

Marriage documents

redmoon (41 posts) • 0

I searched the existing threads but couldn't find answers to specific questions. This query is mainly directed toward Americans who have married chinese women who are not from Kunming. Presumably, you had to return to the location of your wife's hukou. If so my questions are thus:

1. Were you required to have a health certificate?
2. Where did you get your certificate of marriageability translated?
3. After the marriage certificate was issued were you able to obtain a resident permit in Kunming or some other city rather than return to your wife's hukou location?

Thanks for your help!

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Probably anyone can answer these, not just Americans as I are not. I got married about 1.5 years ago, things may have changed with new visa rules but I haven't heard anything.

1. No.

2. Notaries have translation services attached, notary in Kunming is here:www.gokunming.com/[...]
3. Had to return to wife's hekou to get visa. Note though if your wife comes from a village it will be the villages county capital (e.g. My wife's village is near Qujing, which is where we had to get the visa)

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

You can get your residentce permit at either your wife's hometown or in Kunming - both. You must get married where your wife is from.

It would help if you stated where your wife is from (Specific). I got my translated certificate of Marriageability across the street from the US Embassy in Chengdu.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I got my documents translated here in Kunming. I don't remember the address but I remember it was next to the old museum. I know it vague but you don't have to leave Kunming to get your document officially translated. I went to Chengdu to get a certificate of Marriageability affidavit from the consulate and then had it translated here.

JanJal (1244 posts) • 0

The foreigners certificate of marriageability must be obtained from his own country.

That certificate must be double legalized: first by foreign ministry in your home country and then by Chinese consulate in your home country.

In some cases some or all of those steps can be done through the country's consulate in China.

As was mentioned, you must register marriage in the capital of the county where your wife's hukou is. Also note, that office which handles foreigner-related marriages may not be the same which handles local marriages.

In our case in Jan 2014, the Baoshan city office also arranged the translation for my certificate. I believe they sent it to Kunming to be translated, so we had to wait a day or two for that in Baoshan.

Health certificate was not needed for marriage, but when applying for residence permit, Kunming Exit&Entry said that 1 year permit can be given without health examination but 2 year permit would require it.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

HFCAMPO - I think you will find you can only get a resident permit if your wife is from Kunming OR she has a temporary resident permit for Kunming (临时居住证). Otherwise you will have to apply in the county capital.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Yes, A temporary Kunming ID is necessary but it is a lot better than 2 people travelling to the wife's hometown, in my case that is Shandong.

The Kunming ID card is valid for 1-3 years and it requires 30 days to process.

To answer the OP question - Yes, you can get your residence permit here in Kunming although your wife is from another province.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Small clarification. Residence permit must be where you have registered with the local police station as living. You use that slip to convert to a residence permit. The conversion can only be done at a town that is at least prefectural capital level and must either be the same place or have jurisdiction over the place you have registered as living.

faraday (213 posts) • 0

In my case i got the trilingual (excl Chinese) CDC in my country of residence and exchanged it for free for a trilingual (incl Chinese) version at my embassy in Beijing. Simple process, 2 steps only. That paper and a passport is all you need.

From what i read above it seems some people have it harder, translations, legalizations etc.

Related forum threads

Login to post