GoKunming Forums

Where to buy shoes?

germanincanada (5 posts) • 0

Hello !

We are just arrived here a few days ago, and I have had to figure out that I can't get my shoe size 45 oer 46 also looking for a suit to go to a wedding but the size don't match with me ! I never thought I am such a big boy !! uNTIL GO ING SHOPPING IN kUNMING...

Anybody can advise?

Danke!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Shoes, dunno.
But you can get custom made. Not sure where, I am new to KMG.

Suits, get them tailormade. Probably cheaper that 'off the peg' back home.
I have not bought a suit in Kunming, but 1000 rmb should set you up with a nice one. If it is wear once and then stuff in the wardrobe, 500rmb might cut it.

Susannah (1 post) • 0

Hi,
I know that Zara has women's shoes that are in western sizes, but I've never looked for men's shoes. It seems like they would probably have some though. Zara is located in the western style shopping area right across the street from Jin Bi Square (云南省昆明市西山区步行街). I think you can get a modern-looking suit made for you at the end of Wen Hua Xiang closest to the gate of Yunnan University in a shop next to Paul's foreign grocery store, and probably in all of the random tailor stores you see everywhere.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Shoes can be difficult. I have not yet found a shop that measures your feet to see what size you need and help to find it.

For suits I found a place on Renmin Dong Lu across from Yan'an Hospital where I got a custom made cashmere suit PLUS two extra pair of wool dress pants for 1,300. The suit alone was 900. They charge by the meter for the material plus a fee to make it. Took a week but I bet they could do it quicker if there was a rush.

no way (104 posts) • 0

i once found a shop south of wenlinjie that sells dress shoes in
larger sizes. canna remember the name, but start at the new
toilet at wenhuaxiang and start walking downhill. pass the
veggie market on your left, another 100 meters or so you'll hit
an intersecting road on the right. shoe shop on the corner.

you could also try taobao. i picked up a couple pair of tevas last
week in size 46, half the price of the little sizes in kunming.

that could work for you...if it's a chinese wedding, you can wear
sandals and pyjamas and fit right in!

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

The street no way mentioned is called Qian Ju Jie. They're more likely to have your shoe size, because they deal in export clothing that "fell off the truck".

I wear a smaller size than you (44), but whenever I shop for shoes, I just walk up to a salesperson and say, "just show me what you have in a 44".

Zara has decent men's dress shoes, but expect to pay around 1000 for a pair.

For suits, try Kwun Kee Tailors. Last I remember, they had a shop on the corner of Renmin and Qingnian. They're a chain shop (Taiwan, I think), but they should have a range of sizes and be able to do adjustments. You'll save some money by going to a mom and pop tailor, but you'll have to walk them through the cuts and fabrics if you want something decent.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Germanincanada: I probably have what you need. 46, broad fitting, good quality leather 'Clarkes' shoes in both black and brown. I will send private message via this site. If this doesn't work then you could provide contact info. Perfect condition, wrong size for me and if suitable I am just glad to off load them.

CaeruleusCaeruleus (51 posts) • 0

I'm the same size as you. Kwun Kee Tailors are a HK company and are terribly expensive. I normally fly to Bangkok for good suits. Much cheaper quality for quality than Kunming. For something that Kuan Kee will charge more than 10000 for you can pick up something as good for about 2000 in Bangkok.

As for shoes, good luck, I stock up when I go home. I tried the custom option here but they were absolutely terrible quality. The Chinese in general look at tailor made stuff as being lower quality than off the rack, so if you go for a tailored suit or shoes you won't get anything special uess you are prepared to fork out big dollars here. I've headed good reports about tailored shoes in Hoian. They actually use a last unlike in Kunming.

If I need shoes in a desperate hurry I normally go to an international brand store and just ask for that size. If you go to enough of them you will eventually find a 45.. Never a 46. Then they will charge some rediculous price for a pair of shoes that aren't that great anyway.

CaeruleusCaeruleus (51 posts) • 0

I meant a custom last on the KM cobblers. They have premade lasts that definitely weren't the right shape for my feet. Probably fine if just using once. They are dirt cheap, just really bad quality. I wore mine until I could get some other shoes and then threw them away.

Related forum threads

Login to post